take a vacation leave

Discussion in 'English Only' started by zhonglin, Dec 11, 2014.

1. zhonglin Senior Member

Manila
    Mandarin
    Hi,

I've been thinking of this sentence is grammatically correct/sounds conversational

"I would like to take a leave on Christmas" (when you want a vacation leave at work)
    "I forgot the day that I took a leave on" (when you forget the date on which you took vacation leave)

Please help, thank you.

2. Glasguensis

Glasguensis Signal Modulation

Versailles
    English - Scotland
    No, we do not use "leave" like this.

I would like to take a leave day (or vacation day) on Christmas [US English]
    I forgot the day I took as vacation [US English]

3. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

I've actually never heard "a leave day" used at all in any context. There could be certain employers who use this phrase, but I've never worked for one. And my husband, who used to be a Marine - and leave is the term that the Marine Corps uses for vacation - also never says "a leave day."

As far as I know, leave is not used as a modifier in AmE. What I have heard is "one day's leave" or "one day of leave." Vacation is used as a modifier, though, so "a vacation day" and "forgot the day I took as vacation" are both OK.

4. Glasguensis

Glasguensis Signal Modulation

Versailles
    English - Scotland
    I wasn't sure if AmE used this - if so that would certainly be preferable.

5. RM1(SS)

RM1(SS) Senior Member

Connecticut
    English - US (Midwest)
    But as far as I know, "leave" only means "vacation" in the military.

6. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

I think so, too - unless, as I said, some specific employers have opted to use this term. But even outside the military it is pretty common to refer to some other kinds of days off this way, such as "sick leave" and "maternity leave." As far as I know, the military is generally the only institution that refers to vacation as "leave."