Take as long as you need Vs take your time

Xavier da Silva

Hello everyone,

Is there a difference between the expressions "take your time" and "take as long as you need"? The context is: I intend to tell someone not to worry about time, I mean, they can use as much time as they need to complete a job. Please take a look at the examples I made below:

John: I'm sorry. I promised I would finish the job this week, but it wasn't possible. There wasn't enough time.
Mike: Don't worry. Take as long as you need. There's no rush.

Vs

John: I'm sorry. I promised I would finish the job this week, but it wasn't possible. There wasn't enough time.
Mike: Don't worry. Take your time. There's no rush.

Thank you in advance!

• pob14

American English
    Not to speak for Glasguensis, but for me it's "take as much time as you need" and "take as long as you need" that are identical, and I think that's what he meant. "Take your time" is different, as explained in #2.

Loob

English UK
    No, what Glasguensis meant was that "take as much time as you need" and "take as long as you need" are identical in meaning and use, and that both are better in your context than "take your time":).

cross-posted with pob

Xavier da Silva

Thank you all very much for your answers.

No, what Glasguensis meant was that "take as much time as you need" and "take as long as you need" are identical in meaning and use, and that both are better in your context than "take your time"
    That's exactly what I was looking for. I already knew that, but needed confirmation. Problem solved now!

Last edited:

volver

french belgium
    Hello,

What about take as much time as necessary.

If you say take as much time as you need there is then no limit but could you say take as much time as necessary?

Thank you.

VOLVER

lingobingo

English - England
    Yes, you could say that. It means exactly the same.

as much time…
    as you need / as is needed / as is necessary / as the job requires / as it takes

< Previous | Next >