Take care, Kiddo!

< Previous | Next >

elenyae

French
Hey everyone !

Here's my problem :
I'm trying to get close to a guy, who is just 2 years older than me, and who used to be my english lecturer. He was not really my teacher, and he's totally up for going out with me sometime. That's the context !
In a mail he sent to me, he told me "Take care, kiddo!" and I really don't know what to think of this "kiddo"! I've never heard that before, and I'm trying to figure out whether he 's trying to tell me that he sees me like a child and nothing more (but I'm 20 years old so...) or that he likes me. What d'you think ? I'm adressing male audience mainly ^^ Is it bad sign or good sign, or no sign at all ?

Help please !

• mec_américain

US, English
    It could be that he's flirting with you, trying to provoke you into saying "I'm not that young!" If you're in the US and drinking age is 21, maybe he's signifying something about that. Are you sure he knows how old you are? Does he possibly think you're younger than you are?

VanOo

Français - France
    Wah,

Kiddo is indeed something you say to somebody younger as you.

I think it's a bit weak to be a sign of anything particular, but I'm not aware of so much.

What can I say ? Good luck =)

la grive solitaire

United States, English
    Hi elenyae,

Hum...sans vouloir pinailler, if this is AE, how kiddo is used can depend on what part of the country you're from. It also depends on the tone of the rest of his message. It doesn't necessarily mean he's treating you like a kid. :)

toban

English - Canada
    "Kiddo" is a friendly term that one might use with someone who is younger. When I worked at a library as a teenager, some of the older ladies who worked there called me "kiddo."

"Take care, kiddo!" is kind of like "Prends soin de toi, mon ami(e)!"

elenyae

French
    Thank you for these quick answers !

To answer you "mec americain", he perfectly knows I am 20 , and I don't think I loos particularly young...well, maybe physically, but without boasting, I'm rather serious and mature..
    So you would say, it's a sign of friendship ? That's encouraging at least, he 's not regarding me as his student, but more as an eventual pal, right ?

GEmatt

English/BE, Français/CH, Deutsch/CH (rustier & rustier)
    I think it's affectionate, but I don't know how common it really is.

The only time in memory I've heard this used in spoken English is as a play on words, in the film Kill Bill, where "Kiddo" is used as a term of endearment, but is also the surname of the protagonist.

< Previous | Next >