take care of my ad quota

< Previous | Next >

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
Andie tells Lana, her boss, that she can't write the article "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days". Lana:
- You'll write the article. This cover [we see the model of the cover] is at the printer as we speak, with a special section on diamonds, which is going to take care of my ad quota for the entire year. I want copy on my desk in 48 hours.
How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, movie

How do I understand the phrase in bold?
Thank you.

• Copyright

American English
    A quota in this case is a target that needs to be met. Ad is advertisements in the magazine (?). So this one issue of this publication will attract so many advertisers that she will have met/achieved her target/quota for the entire year.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    That is, she's going to get profit from the advertisements in this issue to the amount of the profit she usually gets from advertisements during a year (say, 12 issues, one a month)?

Copyright

American English
    That's probably right in this case, but note that a quota doesn't have to be a profit – it can be a sale (rather than a profit) or simply a number, e.g. 120 ads.

Copyright

American English
    What I mean is that a quota in general could be a variety of things: gross sales, net profit, number of something, etc. I said that because t didn't want you to think that quota equals profit. Quota = Target. We don't know what that target is here.

As for your second question, 120 ads per year might be an average of 10 per month, but advertising might fluctuate during the year, with certain months routinely having 15, while others have just five.

< Previous | Next >