take care

< Previous | Next >

joh2001smile

Chinese
This is from Managing Anger with CBT For Dummies by Gill Bloxham.
I know the first 'take care' means to deal with carefully, but what the second one mean? Does the but + subsentence mean the natural thoughts and beliefs may trigger anger when 'you' feel other people aren't paying attention to their thoughts and beliefs?
Context:
As anger and fear both link to the human fight or flight reaction, it can be useful to look out for thoughts and beliefs which are part of a natural reaction to take care, but may be triggering anger when you feel other people aren’t taking care.

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I don't feel there's enough information in that sentence for me to grasp exactly what the author means by "take care".

The link to the book is useful, but doesn't take me to the relevant page. If that page is not available, the preceding three sentences might be helpful. It seems to me unlikely that he uses the term "take care" so loosely, without defining it.

joh2001smile

Chinese
    The statement is under the subtitle 'stop worry and fear in their tracks' and the next sentence is: CBT offers you several ways to step in and control the signals from your ‘threat radar’, for example: .....

CBT stands for Cognitive Behavior Therapy.

owlman5

English-US
    I'd say that the second "take care" means something like "being sufficiently cautious". It's normal to get mad if you think some idiot is endangering you or other people by acting in a reckless manner.

owlman5

English-US
    I think it means something like "to be cautious", "to be prudent", or "to take care of yourself". Those emotions Bloxham is writing about are normal emotions that people feel when they are endangered by something.

I wish that Bloxham had come up with something a little clearer than "take care" in that passage, but he didn't.

< Previous | Next >