take charge

< Previous | Next >

Xali

Mexico Spanish
Hola:

Estoy traduciendo un formato para que las personas lleven un registro de su historial médico, este documento incluye algunos teléfonos de servicios de asistencia y no se cómo puedo traducir el término: take charge en la siguiente línea.

¿Alguien me puede ayudar?

Family Planning/Take Charge Hotline 800.7...
Línea directa para Planificación Familiar/???

De antemano muchas gracias y que tengan un día excelente.

• gengo

American English
    It is rather clunky English, but it means "call this hotline to take charge of (literally, hacerse cargo de) your family planning."

Na'ilah

USA English
    I wouldn't say it is clunky at all. It is a simple frase that connotes the long explanation that gengo gave. I'd say it's eloquent! NOW, getting the Spanish translation to be eloquent could a bit more difficult. You maybe right by just leaving it as: Línea directa para Planificación Familiar

Xali

Mexico Spanish
    Muchas gracias Gengo y Na'ilah por su ayuda. Creo que voy a seguir el consejo de Na'ilah, aunque por la explicación de Gengo creo que también podría poner algo así como:
    Línea directa de Planificación Familiar/Toma la Responsabilidad

Sin embargo es muy largo, voy a comentarlo con mis compañeros a ver que decidimos.

Otra vez gracias y buen día.

gengo

American English
    What is clunky is the word order, putting the category of family planning in front and the "take charge" afterward, separated by a slash, not using a hyphen for take-charge (since it is being used as an adjectival noun), etc. It is nice and short, but it made me read it three times before I understood what it meant, so that makes it clunky to me.

Na'ilah

USA English
    I think that is the best option, since the "take charge" part in English adds nothing of substance.
    It adds loads of substance, although be it controversial. The implcation with "Take Charge" is that women sometimes do not feel empowered to take control of their health/bodies. And I think the slash indicates that this hotline has two names. That is the way that I read it, anyway.

I think that leaving out the Take Charge part depends a lot on what you wish to communicate or to NOT communitcate or AVOID communicating.

This is a hot button issue you are dealing with and you may need to consult the agency/person for whom you are doing the translation to decide how much of that they/he/she wishes to convey. Good luck!

< Previous | Next >