take flight

cfu507

Hebrew
"Take flight" is also an expression for fleeing. Does it refer only to flight?

According to my dictionary, synonyms for "take flight" are: escape, flee, bolt, run away.

How do you use it as a verb? would you mind to give me some examples?
Thank you

• liliput

U.K. English
    No, "take flight" doesn't refer only to flying. You would use it in pretty much the same way as the other verbs you mention. Why don't you try posting a few example sentences yourself to see what people think?
    Take flight seems rather more poetic than the other terms, to me. Here's an example from a song (which may be slightly misquoted):
    "After the fight, she took flight,
    Hiding swollen eyes and wounded pride".

Lora44

England, English
    There's also something called the 'fight-or-flight response', which highlights this meaning for 'take flight'. It's also known as the 'acute stress response, which you can read about in detail on Wikipedia, but is basically an animal (or human I guess) reaction to threat, by preparing the body to either stay and fight the danger or to run away from it.

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)
    So, guys, what are your opinions about "take flight" and "take a hike" ? (do I have to open a new thread for this?)

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)
    It would be best to open a new thread as the two expressions are not at all similar in meaning.

Not at all?
    Hmmmmm......But they all include the "leaving" part, don't they? :confused: Is this slang (take a hike) common in BE?

(Dictionary.Com)
    8.take a hike, Slang. to go away because one's company is not desired.

cfu507

Hebrew
    Not at all?
    Hmmmmm......But they all include the "leaving" part, don't they? :confused: Is this slang (take a hike) common in BE?

(Dictionary.Com)
    8.take a hike, Slang. to go away because one's company is not desired.

As fa as I know, take a hike is slang and it is more like a command.
    go away, get out of here, scram. It is something that you would say to someone who pissed you.

anothersmith

English, U.S.
    Here are some examples of "take flight":

The prisoner took flight as soon as the guard's back was turned.

The shorebirds took flight when we stepped onto the shore.

"Take a hike" is slang for "go away."

mjscott

American English
    There's a joke concerning Mary, Joseph and baby Jesus' flight to Egypt. In this case flight is the noun concerning the family's fleeing to get out of the wrath of a baby killing. The small child draws a picture of an airplane with Mom, Dad, and Baby looking out the window. The teacher asks, "What did you draw?" She says, "This is the flight to Egypt." The teacher asks who the person is at the front of the plane. "Oh, that's Pontius the Pilot," was the response.

Flight is the noun that goes with the verb to flee.

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)
    As fa as I know, take a hike is slang and it is more like a command.
    go away, get out of here, scram. It is something that you would say to someone who pissed you.

Wow, thanks! :)

See, I learn something from you too :thumbsup: