(take / lead) someone to

wanabee

Japanese
Dear all,

A foreign tourist asked me if I knew any interesting spot, so I took (led) him to a nearby tourist information center.

I made up the sentence. Do you see any difference between 'took him to' and 'led him to'?

I would appreciate any comments.

• Procol

British English
    Hello

You would probably use the word "take" in this context with its meaning of "accompany". Lead has a slightly different meaning of being out in front and leading people somewhere, rather than being with them.

wanabee

Japanese
    Hello

You would probably use the word "take" in this context with its meaning of "accompany". Lead has a slightly different meaning of being out in front and leading people somewhere, rather than being with them.
    Thank you very much, Procol!
    Your advice made me think that if the tourist was a foreigner who was new there and at a loss what to do next, maybe I could 'lead' (meaning 'take') them to a tourist information centre.
    Another example I tought up was when you help a little child who got lost in an amusement park. I thought you could 'lead' them to the information desk.
    Please correct me if I'm off the track.

Procol

British English
    Hi again

You could use the word lead but take would be better in this context. Again, you are accompanying the person, not acting as a leader.

< Previous | Next >