take over a position - come to power

as_99

Arabic
I am wondering is "take over the top decision making position" the same as "come to power"?

See this context:

Phase 1 can’t be achieved until a real leader take over the top decision making position or come to power in the company.

I am not sure which one can better express the meaning: become the leader of the comapny

Please advise

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I am wondering is "take over the top decision making position" the same as "come to power"?

See this context:

Phase 1 can’t be achieved until a real leader take over the top decision making position or come to power in the company.

I am not sure which one can better express the meaning: become the leader of the comapny

Please advise
    The two phrases do not necessarily mean the same.
    Someone could "come to power" in the company, in the sense of having a great deal of influence, without being in the top decision-making position.

In most contexts I would not want to suggest that someone might "take over" the top decision-making position. In most companies there are formal processes for such appointments and generally this does not include the possibility of someone taking over top positions ... at least formally it doesn't.

I think I would express what I think you intend ...
    Phase 1 can't be achieved until there is a real leader in the top decision-making position in the company.

I hope this is not part of a report to the company's CEO :)

< Previous | Next >