'take someone on' for a training programme

chuann6

English India
Hi!

This is a question about the expression "taking someone on for a training programme"

Would this imply "hiring someone as in a contractual agreement?"

This is a letter of invitation that I am translating from another language and my choice is between agreeing to take Mr XYZ on for a training programme and "agreeing to welcome Mr XYZ for a training programme". Your observations/suggestions are all welcome.

Thank you for your feedback.

• bibliolept

AE, Español
    Usually, to "take someone on" in a business context means to hire them, though it is not often used this way in AE. I'd half except it to mean that you're simply accepting them into the program.

If you search WordReference for take on: you will find this definition (among others):
    accept, admit, take, take on
    admit into a group or community; "accept students for graduate study"; "We'll have to vote on whether or not to admit a new member"
    You will also find links to many other threads discussing "take on."

Note that to 'take on" in most contexts in AE means to act against them, to challenge them, to try to defeat them or best them.

chuann6

English India
    Thank you for the links , I suppose it is an ambiguous turn of phrase, and not a very formal, administrative one either.

perhaps I'll just say that the person is admitted to the programme.

< Previous | Next >