Take their .22 out to the back forty

Jana337

čeština
Let me suggest another possibility: Muslim youth are rioting in France because breaking windows and setting cars on fire is fun.
Everyone who has ever taken their .22 out to the back forty and shot up a line of old bug spray cans knows this. Seeing things break, disintegrate, or explode, at absolutely no personal risk to yourself, lights up some primitive reptilian part of our brain with searing glee. Source
Hello,

I cannot make sense of the underlined part of the third sentence. Could anyone please enlighten me?

Many thanks, :)

Jana

• Kelly B

USA English
    A .22 is a type of gun, very popular among American farmers and other rural folk, often used for shooting nuisance wildlife (slang: varmints) like raccoons that raid the garbage cans, or coyotes that harass the cows. Or rows of beer bottles, for target practice. The spray cans in the quote probably explode, too. Yaaaaahooooooooo! .22 designates the size of the ammunition (and therefore the gun barrel). http://www.gunshopfinder.com/kimberrifles/kimber22classicvarmint.jpg

The back 40 (acres) is a general term used to mean the back part of a large plot of rural land, an area that doesn't get much attention: the kind of place where you can get away with shooting things that explode without getting in trouble or hurting anybody.

Oh, look, there's "glee" again.

Jana337

čeština
    Many thanks, Kelly - I figured out that .22 could be a weapon, but "back forty" confused me mightily. :)

Jana