Take time off

Er.S.M.M.Hanifa

Banned
Tamil
Hi everybody,
1. Take time off to treat yourself well.
Is the sentence OK?
Does it mean, "Take your own time as much as you please
to treat yourself well."?
Could you guide me?
Thanks,
Er.S.M.M.Hanifa

• Copyright

American English
    While it's possible to use that form, it's not likely. Take time off usually means take time off from work (your job) or working (in general). In this case, I think you want the simpler:
    Take time to treat yourself well.
    Take the time to treat yourself well.
    Take some time to treat yourself well.

Junwei Guo

Chinese
    While it's possible to use that form, it's not likely. Take time off usually means take time off from work (your job) or working (in general). In this case, I think you want the simpler:
    Take time to treat yourself well.
    Take the time to treat yourself well.
    Take some time to treat yourself well.
    Hi, Copyright~
    The following is what I learned:
    To take a vacation means to take some time for leisure and doesn't plan to be at work for a while.
    To go on vacation generally means that you are travelling somewhere.
    Could you tell me what the difference is between "take a vacation" and "take time off"?
    In other words, can I change your example to the following without changing the meaning:
    Take a vaction to treat yourself well.
    Thanks=)

Last edited:

Uncle Jack

British English
    Could you tell me what the difference between "take a vacation" and "take time off"?
    They both mean taking time off work, but taking a vacation usually means for you to do something you want to do, whereas you could take time off for a dental appointment or for a court appearance.
    In other words, can I change your example to the following without changing the meaning:
    Take a vacation to treat yourself well.
    Not really. Copyright did not use "Take time off to treat yourself well", but "Take time to treat yourself well", which makes no reference to taking time off work.
    However, you can express the idea in two independent clauses:
    Take a vacation and treat yourself well.

Junwei Guo

Chinese
    They both mean taking time off work, but taking a vacation usually means for you to do something you want to do, whereas you could take time off for a dental appointment or for a court appearance.
    Not really. Copyright did not use "Take time off to treat yourself well", but "Take time to treat yourself well", which makes no reference to taking time off work.
    However, you can express the idea in two independent clauses:
    Take a vacation and treat yourself well.
    I've got it~
    Thanks for the detailed explanatoin=)

Junwei Guo

Chinese
    Hi, Uncle Jack~ Could you help me check if the following is ok:
    "I’m taking a vacation for a dental seminar/symposium."
    I think the sentence is not natural, right? Because "a dental seminar/symposium" is more of something I have to do than something I want to do.(?)
    Thanks=)

< Previous | Next >