Take Time/ Take one's Time

HSS

Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
Hi, again. What would be the subtlety of 'We're taking time' versus 'We're taking our time'? Does the latter feel like it involves more of the subject's volition? Taking more time than necessary because 'we' wanted it to be? The following is from 'Dead Zone,' a TV drama, where Johnny and Sarah were once engaged, but because of a horrible auto accident the marriage never realized. After she got married to Walt, Johnny came to. Walt is worried about her possible infidelity, describing her recent strange acts.

Walt: Or the dozens of other little things. Like the surprise lunch dates in the middle of the week. And watching an entire football game with me and J-J...At the same time, the evening phone calls with Johnny Smith suddenly end...

Sarah: We're taking time. Trying to figure out how we fit into each other's lives... or if we even do.

Last edited:
  • Ceremoniar

USA
    American English
    Taking time usually means to pause, and set aside time for some special purpose, usually for mental or emotional recharging, or to assess a personal situation. That is the context of the dialogue above.

Taking our (or his, her, my, their, etc.) time means to do something slowly, without rushing.

variegatedfoliage

English - US
    I agree with Ceremoniar's explanation, but I just want to add one more thing. "We are taking time" sounds a little unnatural to me. "Taking time" is usually followed by a verb form, as in "we're taking time to figure out where we stand with each other" (we are giving ourselves as much time as we need), or "she's taking her time responding to my message" (she's being slow or delaying in responding).

HSS

Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
    Okay. Thanks, Ceremoniar and variegatedfoliage. Your explanations helped me a lot.

Hiro

< Previous | Next >