take up positions

AVim

Chinese
It's from a cloze test and I've filled the blanks with suggested answers:
I was given the opportunity to take up through the company into different positions.
I think it natural to say: "take up ... positions", but I am still confused by the "into" before the "positions".

Whose object is "positions"? The "take up" or the "into"?

• Copyright

American English
    I don't know what the other choices were -- or were you to provide your own -- but this is an odd sentence. You can take up positions, or take up different positions (not "into"). Perhaps you can explain some more... I'm guessing the unbolded part of the sentence must remain the same.

AVim

Chinese
    Oops, oops, sorry Copy, I made a mistake. :)

The suggested answer is "move up". That is:
    I was given the opportunity to more up through the company into different positions.
    It's quite clear now. Thanks a lot.

Copyright

American English
    Sure... but the sentence is still odd. You have my sympathy for these tests. You don't really move up through a company into different positions -- unless you're making the assumption that these are better positions (which I guess we are). Good luck. :)

AVim

Chinese
    Sure... but the sentence is still odd. You have my sympathy for these tests. You don't really move up through a company into different positions -- unless you're making the assumption that these are better positions (which I guess we are). Good luck. :)
    I think your assumption is quite right!

The question is like this:
    I mastered the skills of that beginning level position and I was given the opportunity to __30__ through the company into different __31__.
    30)
    A. look up
    B. take up
    C. move up
    D. put up

31)
    A) situations
    B) choices
    C) directions
    D) positions

Yes, I also feel a little hard to understand the "through the company into different positions", does this mean "changing the positions inside/within the company"?

< Previous | Next >