Take your time

Solid

Hello, this is my first post :)

Well I was just wondering, when someone tells you that "I need to do something now, I need to go and .... etc etc. " your response would be "Sure, Take your time".
So how do you say "Take your time" in Russian? I've just found that "Derzay". Is it correct?

• übermönch

World - 1.German, 2.Russian, 3.English
    Derzai, is rather "go ahead". If i'm not wrong the verb "derzat'" means "to dare". It isn't used when someone needs to go somewhere, but rather when one tells you she wants to jump from one roof to another for example.
    I cannot recall any direct "Take your time" translation, something that can be used i think would be "da, pojalusta", "yes, please"; "konechno, konechno" "sure, sure"; "kak tebe ugodno", "how it fits you better"; "nu, davai", "well, do".

papillon

Russian (Ukraine)
    But then you may convey something you didn't intend. In Russian не торопись or не спеши means don't hurry. If you ask someone to do something but then say не торопись, you're almost inviting them to not do it just yet. Perhaps you're asking them to stop as you may have something more to add.

While there is probably no exact translation for take your time, I would just add something like особой спешки нету... to the sentence. Even then, I'd use it sparingly since people in Russia and Ukraine usually don't need a special invitation to take their sweet time.:D

P.S. Gvcc1girl, welcome to the Forum! Are you actually at the famous Monterey Language Institute? Cool!:cool: