Taken from the street

Hisaishi

Italian
Hi

Can anybody please tell me what the expression in the subject could stand for, in the following context? It is an extract from a magazine's article.

“It was hard. My son couldn’t go to school. And my husband was taken from the street. He had to. Pay money two times.”

Thanks a lot for kind assistance

• JamesM

It's difficult to say without more context. Just guessing, I'd say that he had some job or occupation that sold in the streets, such as a peddler, and this circumstance, whatever it is, kept him from going out and earning a living.

Can you provide more context, please? Who is talking and what are the circumstances her family is in?

Hisaishi

Italian
    It's a refugee woman telling the hardships they had to face in their first host country. Please find below some more context:

"We had problems and had to leave,” she explained. They stayed there for six months. But [...] they faced many obstacles and felt extremely vulnerable. “It was hard. My son couldn’t go to school. And my husband was taken fromthe street.He had to pay money two times.”

Thanks

JamesM

It could mean that he was picked up off the street and taken to a police station. He might have had to pay a fine twice for vagrancy.

It's still not clear to me, Hisaishi. Perhaps someone else will have a better idea.

< Previous | Next >