takes no account new meanings

bobkuspe

Portuguese (BRAZIL)
Hi,

It is right this structure takes no account new meanings

inside this sentence?

However some definitions of general vocabulary takes no account new meanings, esp. current scientific or business terms. It doesn´t outlines the types of labels, which appears in the dictionary.

Best regards

Bob

• RCA86

UK
    British English
    Almost. Since 'definitions' is plural, 'takes' would be 'take'. You would also say 'account of new meanings. So,

"However some definitions of general vocabulary take no account of new meanings,"

I would personally rephrase it to something like:

"However some definitions of general vocabulary don't take account of new meanings,"

But that's up to you.

hotpocket

American English / Boston
    Almost. Since 'definitions' is plural, 'takes' would be 'take'. You would also say 'account of new meanings. So,

"However some definitions of general vocabulary take no account of new meanings,"

I would personally rephrase it to something like:

"However some definitions of general vocabulary don't take account of new meanings,"

But that's up to you.
    OR

However, some general vocabulary definitions fail to take new meanings into account...

bobkuspe

Portuguese (BRAZIL)
    Thank you both for your replies.

The alternative construction of hotpocket sounds better.

Thank you so much.

Bob

El intérprete

US
    US English
    Hey, Bob. I'd say this:
    However, some definitions of general vocabulary do not take into account new meanings, especially current scientific or business terms. They do not outline the types of labels that appear in the dictionary.

bobkuspe

Portuguese (BRAZIL)
    ooooppppps!

Do you are right. I wrote something but I don´t thought about I was writing!

I must delete esp. current scientific or business terms.

Thank you

Bob

< Previous | Next >