taking a small amount of food while being prepared

Chimigan

Persian
Hello,
In Persian, there is a humorous phrase to explain a situation in which someone takes a small amount of the food which is being prepared by the cook while the cook is not satisfied with the action. I wonder if there is an English equivalent for it. Thank you

Last edited:
  • Ral.G

Polish
    I'm not sure if there's one set phrase for such a situation, but here are some lines I've heard in movies/tv shows:

No snacking before dinner!
    No snacking until it's ready/done!
    You put your hand on the tray/plate again and you'll lose it!
    You touch it again and you'll lose a finger!

And so on.

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    When the cook takes a bite of the food, it's called tasting. After all, the cook has to taste it to make sure it's good, right? ;)

When someone else takes a bit, it's called stealing. Often a milder term is used, such as "snitching" a bite.

Miss Julie

English-U.S.
    Hello,
    In Persian, there is a humerus humorous (or humourous) phrase to explain a situation in which someone takes a small amount of the food which is being prepared by the cook while the cook is not satisfied with the action. I wonder if there is an English equivalent for it. Thank you

The humerus is a bone in your arm. ;)

Chimigan

Persian
    When the cook takes a bite of the food, it's called tasting. After all, the cook has to taste it to make sure it's good, right? ;)

When someone else takes a bit, it's called stealing. Often a milder term is used, such as "snitching" a bite.

Thanks a million. By the way, nice sense of humor ;-)

Chimigan

Persian
    I'm not sure if there's one set phrase for such a situation, but here are some lines I've heard in movies/tv shows:

No snacking before dinner!
    No snacking until it's ready/done!
    You put your hand on the tray/plate again and you'll lose it!
    You touch it again and you'll lose a finger!

And so on.

Thank you so much for your consideration