taking it in its essence

< Previous | Next >

meramli

turkish
Lenin-LeftWing Communism
And I say "international significance," not in the broad sense of the word ; not some features, but all fundamental and many secondary features are, in the sense of their influence upon other countries, of international significance. Not in the strictest sense of the word — ^that is, taking it in its essence — or in the sense of the historical inevitability of a repetition, on an international scale, of what we in Russia have gone through ; but one must admit some fundamental features of our revolution to be of such international significance.

Not in the strictest sense of the word — ^that is, taking it in its essence... I couldn't understand this part, especially taking it in its essence, can you explain please? thanks in advance.

• Chez

English English
    strictest sense of the word – the most precise definition/meaning of the word

in its essence – similar to 'strictest sense' but meaning 'it's most basic/essential meaning'

He's saying he is NOT talking about 'international significance' in it's most precise/basic definition, but in a much wider sense.

meramli

turkish
    thank you but i didn't solve 'that is, taking it in its essence' especially, ''that is, taking'',
    my second question is that ''in the sense of the historical inevitability of a repetition'' can we say that the meaning is negative here because of the 'not' at the beginning of the sentence? Not ... in the sense of the historical inevitability of repetition..

Chez

English English
    OK, Sorry. I'll try again.

The 'that is, taking it in its essence' is written as an 'aside' (between the long dashes) because it is explaining/clarifying what he means. 'That is...' is used to express 'what I mean to say is/to make it clearer'.

which is why 'In the strictest sense of the word' and 'in its essence' mean much the same thing. It's just another way to express the same thing in case it wasn't clear.

And to your second question, yes, the not at the start of the sentence also applies to 'in the sense of the historical inevitability of repetition.'

Any better?

< Previous | Next >