Taking some slack?? [flak / flack]

< Previous | Next >

everpine

Korean
Hello, guys.

Can someone please help understand what the below sentence means?

Hes been criticized for only playing sports with other men. Hes been taking some slack for that lately.

Could it be similar to "being criticized"?

Thanks in advance,,,

• Cypherpunk

US, English
    Yes. It means that others are teasing him about this. This generally implies that it's other men that are giving him a hard time (teasing him), but there is some criticism of his behavior behind the teasing.

Cypherpunk

US, English
    Really? I thought the phrase came from language concerning safety lines, perhaps dating back to the days when people sailed the high seas... You take up slack, so someone has little room to move, and if they fall, they can't fall far. It keeps them safe, but it doesn't allow them to move far from the anchor point for their line.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Really? I thought the phrase came from language concerning safety lines, perhaps dating back to the days when people sailed the high seas... You take up slack, so someone has little room to move, and if they fall, they can't fall far. It keeps them safe, but it doesn't allow them to move far from the anchor point for their line.
    I see how this relates to "taking up some slack" ~ to do someone's work for them ~ but I don't see how this relates to teasing.

Like envie, I see the underlined part resulting from a confusion with "taking some flack [*flak]".

I haven't been able to find a documented use of "taking some slack" as an idiom.

*Thanks, Copyright.

< Previous | Next >