talcum sand

< Previous | Next >

jacdac

Lebanese
She looked down at her bitten nails, her scuffed boots, her old chinos. She thought about the elderly pants she was wearing, the decrepit bra. She knew she was two months past a timely trip to the hairdresser. She was drinking gin alone in a hotel bar on a Thursday at not even midday. And then she thought of herself only five months ago, tanned and lean, clutching her bouquet, the talcum sand between her toes, the sun shining down from a vivid blue sky, standing at Alfie’s side; young, beautiful, in paradise, in love.
source: Watching you by Lisa Jewell

I know all about Johnson & Johnson talcum power that is made of green-to-grey talc mineral. But trawling the web, I found no reference for calcium sand. Is it a sort of powered talc? Are there beaches of talcum sand?

Thank you.

• Uncle Jack

British English
    I have never heard the expression and all I can imagine is that it is exceptionally fine sand. Conceivably the sand in that place happens to be grains of talc, but "talcum" is not, so far as I am aware, an adjective relating to talc (noun), and in any case, I doubt most people would recognise talc by sight, nor would I expect the writer to casually refer to talc sand without having told readers about it first.

Loob

English UK
    Yes - the author is just suggesting that the sand is "talcum-like": that it's as fine as talcum powder.

kentix

English - U.S.
    Yes - the author is just suggesting that the sand is "talcum-like": that it's as fine as talcum powder.
    :thumbsup:

There is one example in the COCA database.

I live here for the same reason so many famous people have second or third or maybe eighth homes here -- because it's a paradise of riotous colors, balmy sea breezes, cool talcum sand beaches, and every songbird and seabird you can think of.

< Previous | Next >