'Talk' or 'another verb' someone 'out of/into doing' ...

chatterbox0610

français -Paris
Hello , English speakers, English lovers ...:)

I like the expression in : 'he talked his sister into giving him her favourite CD', indicating, if I'm not mistaken, a kind of spoken 'manipulation' from the boy to his sister ...

Now, would I be exaggeratedly 'inventive' or creative, or totally wrong,:( if I spoke of someone who 'threatened a person into doing something' ? or 'blackmailed a person out of doing something else'? or 'bribed him out of selling a product to someone ? 'or torturing ' into/out of ...etc ?
Is it English at all ? To me, it would be great, showing the power of English to create similar expressions that would, of course be understood ... and changing the idea totally just with one word ... That would be like magic ... Is English magical ?

Thank you for all your opinions ... whatever they are ! :)
chatterbox

• constantlyconfused

English - British
    Now, would I be exaggeratedly 'inventive' or creative, or totally wrong,:( if I spoke of someone who 'threatened a person into doing something' ? or 'blackmailed a person out of doing something else'? or 'bribed him out of selling a product to someone ? 'or torturing ' into/out of ...etc ?
    I'm afraid you would.

I threatened him with (torture, etc.) if he didn't tell me what I wanted to know.
    I bribed him (not) to do something.

You would normally blackmail someone to do something (I think), though 'into doing' would be acceptable. 'Out of' would sound odd to me.
    You certainly wouldn't torture someone into or out of doing anything. You might say "I tortured him until he agreed to do what I wanted"

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    ConstantlyConfused is being too timid!

You could certainly talk of:
    Beating someone into submission.
    Persuading someone into agreeing (though persuading s.o. to agree is more common).
    Cajoling someone into attending a concert.
    Manipulating someone into paying out money.
    Arguing someone into (or out of) voting for a particular party.
    Etc. etc.

Be brave!

chatterbox0610

français -Paris
    Thank you ever so much ... :) I'm not timid and I don't (really ) fear being frowned at ! So, I'll try some of the safe ones first ...
    You're making English magical, for me ... at least ! :D Thank you !

chatterbox0610

français -Paris
    Hello Parla ,

Thank you for your additional post. . I totally agree with you, but my question is whether it's possible, frequent and or not to extend (I would say 'enrich', but I'm not sure you'd all agree ...) this structure using other means of persuasion ... such as :

He threatened the banker into opening the safe.

He bullied his school fellow into giving him his lunch.

I tickled her out of reading my letter ...

I like playing with words, but would prefer to stay within reasonable boundaries ...

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    He threatened the banker into opening the safe.:tick:
    He bullied his school fellow schoolmate into giving him his lunch.:tick:
    I tickled her out of reading my letter.:cross:

chatterbox0610

français -Paris
    Thank you very much, Parla. It's very kind of you to satisfy my curiosity ...

Could you please tell me why the third one is wrong : Smiply because 'it isn't said, and could never be ?' or because 'out of' seems to more more 'choosy' than 'into' ...
    I could say 'he tickled her into opening her hand and giving him the toy', couldn't I ?
    Thank you very much again ! :)

< Previous | Next >