Talk out of one's ass

Merlino

The Netherlands
I know the expression "dire sciocchezze" but can you also say "parlare dal culo" or "stare parlando dal culo" as a (literal) translation for the english "to talk out of one's ass?"

Thank you!

• carlafed

Italian
    We do not use this kind of expression. I have no idea of how rude is "to talk out of one's ass", but the translation you attempted it is quite rude - even if not used, everybody would understand the meaning and would be rather upset -
    I think 'dire sciocchezze' is strong enough, even if it does not contain the word "ass".
    You also can say 'ragionare con i piedi' (to reason by one's feet) to convey this meaning without being coarse.

Merlino

The Netherlands
    The expression is quite rude in English too... Let's just say that you can't be friends with everyone ;)

carlafed

Italian
    I will try to explain better.
    If you say to someone "dici delle sciocchezze" or "ragioni con i piedi"
    these are rather strong expressions and he/she can be offended, and you might loose a friend (maybe not, if he/she is a good friend ;-))
    But the expression you suggest is much more, it is coarse and vulgar, then you will be judged as not very polite (Merriam-Webster : boorishness or ill-breeding).
    Hope I made my point better ... at least I tried

---
    please correct my English if needed

riccardo

Italy, Italian
    Talking nasty, hu?

If this can quench your thirst for bad words, where I come from you can say "parlare alla cazzo" ("speak without knowledge") or "fare un lavoro col culo" - the latter meaning "do something badly". Goes without saying that these are not polite expressions. Nevertheless, you can use them with a good friend without really offending him/her, as long as s/he is allowed to reply with a sound "vaffanculo".

Merlino

The Netherlands
    Thanks for the explanations. In this case I wanted to tell a good friend of mine that he was talking rubbish, and I knew he wouldn't have minded a little coarse language since we use it amongst each other all the time... And indeed, he would've responded with a sarcastic smile and a 'vaffanculo!' :)

< Previous | Next >