talkativeness

Hi. I was translating a Spanish word (locuacidad) into English and I found "talkativeness". I'd like to know if this word is commonly used or not. I suspect it doesn't, since in almost all dictionaries this "famous" word is not included. I'd like to see opinions.

bye!
 
  • You little ripper!

    Senior Member
    Australian English
    Henrik Larsson said:
    Hi. I was translating a Spanish word (locuacidad) into English and I found "talkativeness". I'd like to know if this word is commonly used or not. I suspect it doesn't, since in almost all dictionaries this "famous" word is not included. I'd like to see opinions.

    bye!
    It was in 8 online dictionaries I looked up. I hear it occasionally in Australia. There were over 87,000 listings when I Googled it. :)
     

    QUIJOTE

    Senior Member
    USA
    I can tell you that while I know the meaning of the word is not one that I use in a day to day conversation, in fact I have never used it or discussed until today. Of course that's just my opinion. (Locuacidad that is)
     

    panjandrum

    Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Ah yes, the wonders of Google.
    The loquacity of some WR contributors never fails to astonish me.

    Would you find that a little strange?

    Check Here.:D

    Edit - sorry, that's just a bit too cryptic.
    I'm suggesting that talkativeness is not a very common word. The literal translation (I assume), loquacity, gets more Googlehits.

    I wouldn't use either of them - much, if at all.
     

    river

    Senior Member
    U.S. English
    Or as one of my teachers used to say: "Let us attempt to curtail our pathetic need to yap incessantly." So I propose "The incessant yap of WR contributors never fails to astonish."
     

    You little ripper!

    Senior Member
    Australian English
    river said:
    Or as one of my teachers used to say: "Let us attempt to curtail our pathetic need to yap incessantly." So I propose "The incessant yap of WR contributors never fails to astonish."
    My teachers weren't as creative. They used to tell our class to "Shut up!" or just throw a duster at the yapper. :D
     

    panjandrum

    Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Charles Costante said:
    My teachers weren't as creative. They used to tell our class to "Shut up!" or just throw a duster at the yapper. :D
    Aye, right. Well that ages you OK. They wouldn't be chucking blackboard dusters at the students these days - unless they wanted to be suspended, sued and sacked.

    river said:
    "The incessant yap of WR contributors never fails to astonish."
    You are bending my meaning ever-so-slightly. I made no value judgement on the charming and entirely admirable talkativeness of WR contributors. Incessant yap sounds just a little bit pejorative - and I wouldn't DARE suggest that:D .
     

    panjandrum

    Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    IMPORTANT NOTE.

    I would like to draw the attention of anyone coming across this thread to the fact that river, Charles Costante, nycphotography and I have worked very hard to demonstrate to you, in a small way, the meaning of talkativeness/loquacity - with a touch, here and there (mostly here), of verbosity if not prolixity.

    As you will appreciate, this has been very challenging for all of us and we will now, with huge sighs of relief, return to posting entirely in accordance with the WR rules.

    Thanks will not be necessary. Our understanding of your appreciation of our dedication to clarity of explanation in this forum is its own reward.

    Phew - I'm pretty sure that just about drags the thread back into compliance.
     

    nycphotography

    Senior Member
    American English
    panjandrum said:
    IMPORTANT NOTE.

    I would like to draw the attention of anyone coming across this thread to the fact that river, Charles Costante, nycphotography and I have worked very hard to demonstrate to you, in a small way, the meaning of talkativeness/loquacity - with a touch, here and there (mostly here), of verbosity if not prolixity.

    As you will appreciate, this has been very challenging for all of us and we will now, with huge sighs of relief, return to posting entirely in accordance with the WR rules.

    Thanks will not be necessary. Our understanding of your appreciation of our dedication to clarity of explanation in this forum is its own reward.

    Phew - I'm pretty sure that just about drags the thread back into compliance.
    Could you have been less concise if you tried?? ;)
     

    nycphotography

    Senior Member
    American English
    cuchuflete said:
    Henrik,
    Lest I be accused of a garrulous reply, I shall be brief, no matter how long it takes me.

    What we have here is yet another of those fascinating AE/BE or IE~BE/AE distinctions. In Ameringlish, one more typically says loquaciousness rather than loquacity.


    Cheers,
    Cuchu
    In AE what one more commonly SAYS is verbose or talkative or wordy. If someone actually SAID the word loquacious, in any of its forms, I write them off a too tweedy to be tolerated, exuse myself, and RUN the other way. But that's just me.

    We also use nouns like: windbag and gasbag

    Or we might say one is "overly fond of his own voice". Or one "talks just to hear his own voice." Not that those are concise phrases!
     

    cuchuflete

    Senior Member
    EEUU-inglés
    nycphotography said:
    In AE what one more commonly SAYS is verbose or talkative or wordy. If someone actually SAID the word loquacious, in any of its forms, I write them off a too tweedy to be tolerated, exuse myself, and RUN the other way. But that's just me.

    We also use nouns like: windbag and gasbag

    Or we might say one is "overly fond of his own voice". Or one "talks just to hear his own voice." Not that those are concise phrases!
    Oh really?

    regards,
    Twotweedy Tubee Tolerated
     

    DAH

    Senior Member
    USA/California--English
    panjandrum said:
    IMPORTANT NOTE.

    I would like to draw the attention of anyone coming across this thread to the fact that river, Charles Costante, nycphotography and I have worked very hard to demonstrate to you, in a small way, the meaning of talkativeness/loquacity - with a touch, here and there (mostly here), of verbosity if not prolixity.

    As you will appreciate, this has been very challenging for all of us and we will now, with huge sighs of relief, return to posting entirely in accordance with the WR rules.

    Thanks will not be necessary. Our understanding of your appreciation of our dedication to clarity of explanation in this forum is its own reward.

    Phew - I'm pretty sure that just about drags the thread back into compliance.
    How about:

    verbose or verbosity
     

    river

    Senior Member
    U.S. English
    panjandrum said:
    IMPORTANT NOTE.

    I would like to draw the attention of anyone coming across this thread to the fact that river, Charles Costante, nycphotography and I have worked very hard to demonstrate to you, in a small way, the meaning of talkativeness/loquacity - with a touch, here and there (mostly here), of verbosity if not prolixity.

    As you will appreciate, this has been very challenging for all of us and we will now, with huge sighs of relief, return to posting entirely in accordance with the WR rules.

    Thanks will not be necessary. Our understanding of your appreciation of our dedication to clarity of explanation in this forum is its own reward.

    Phew - I'm pretty sure that just about drags the thread back into compliance.
    Now, you are downright linguacious. Panj.
     

    You little ripper!

    Senior Member
    Australian English
    nycphotography said:
    OHHH! That's what a DUSTER is. An ERASER. ;-)
    "Duster" is such a silly word for what it is. "Eraser" is so much better. I think that's what they still call it here. I presume it's the term used in the U.K. too, since Panj understood it.
     
    < Previous | Next >
    Top