Talked about beekeeping today

panzerfaust0

mandarin
Hello. I was talking to my friend about learning how to be a beekeeper a few days ago. When I got home, I emailed her asking her to do some research about beekeeping. However I feel hesitant about how to say it. So far I have:

1. Don't forget what we talked about beekeeping today.

2. Don't forget what we talked about about beekeeping today.

I feel that 2. should be the correct sentence however I don't think I have ever heard of people say it that way (two "abouts" in a row). Please help me, thanks.

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    You are correct that you don't want two 'about's in a row. (You may be thinking of 'talk about' as a phrasal verb; it isn't in this context.)

However, we wouldn't use 'talked' in this context. When referring to the past conversation, we might say:

Don't forget what we said about beekeeping today.
    This asks her to remember the content of your conversation -- that you discussed your wish to learn.​

Our you might say:

Don't forget that we talked about beekeeping today.
    This reminds her only that you spoke about beekeeping. It doesn't direct her attention to any specific part of it.
    (I don't think you need to worry about exactly what you wrote. She would understand what you meant in any case.)

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    You cannot use it with 'what'.

In the phrase, what we talked about, 'what' is the object of 'about'. "Beekeeping" is not, and does not have a grammatical function in your sentence.

< Previous | Next >