Talking About Vowels

slowlikemolasses

English - US
When spelling out a word, how can the speaker emphasize a certain vowel? In English this can be done, for example, by used the word apple when emphasizing an a; how about in Korean?

• Park Chung-hee

Korean
    When spelling out a word, how can the speaker emphasize a certain vowel? In English this can be done, for example, by used the word apple when emphasizing an a; how about in Korean?

Hi there!

Korean really has no emphasis on vowels. I think the mean by "emphasized vowels" are actually one of the consonants like ㅃ,ㅉ,ㄸ,ㄲ,ㅆ. But these are consonants not vowels.
    I really do not know what kind of vowels of Korean have emphasis. Unlike English, you really do not have to give emphasis on Korean.

Park Chung-hee

Korean
    If you meant by grammatically, then I really need some time to get clear and straight answer for it.
    If you meant by pronunciation, then I really need to record my voice or make a video explaining it.
    The parts you are asking is quite complex. Please be more specific on what you are asking.

meesterslager

Dutch - Brabant, Dutch - ABN
    The difference between 오 and 어, is that the first is a short " o" sound like in while the latter is more of a prolongued o like "ooh" from pronouncing the english alphabet but with a little softer intonation. also the first is more pronounced with your throath whith an open mouth. the latter is less created with your throath and requires an o shaped mouth.

similar is with the 요 and 여 sound its the similar sound with an added y. so yo and yoh. remember that the latter sound more like the english expression "yo" with a softer intonation on the "o" that in the english expression, the korean "yo" is a short and hard "o"

I unfortunatly counld not come up with an english wordt that properly pronounces this hard and short korean 오.

I hope this explanation somewhat helps, I myself also still have problems with proper pronounciation during pronounciation class. but for me the ㅍ ㅂ ㅃ, ㅅㅆ and ㄱ,ㅋ,ㄲ. are a real trouble because I have a hard time hearing the difference when koreans pronounce them. let stand pronounce them myself.

since it sounds like your doing selfstudy let me hint u on one weird pronounciation rule. then a ㅅ and l are combined like the word 신문(newspaper) is not pronounces as sinmun/sinmoen but as shinmun/shinmoen. while with other combinations of vowels and ㅅ the h is usually not there (correct me if I am wrong)

slowlikemolasses

English - US
    레몬 할때 레

I was looking for something like the example above.

meesterslager

Dutch - Brabant, Dutch - ABN
    Like Chung-Hee I have a hard time understanding what u mean,

do u mean somethat like

a from apple, b from bear, c from cup, d from drink??

because when I put your example into englsih script its something like " lemon halea le" I dont understand the ephasis in this example because there is no a from apple in there.

napron

English - USA
    Are you talking about when people ask for spelling clarification like "is that 'a' as in apple or 'e' as in egg?" I don't know if it's done for the basic vowels like ㅏ,ㅑ, etc, but for distinguishing between 레 and 래 you can say like 'uh ee' or 'ah ee'.

Rance

Korean
    We don't normally break down by vowels or consonants but by syllable.
    Just like the example you gave us "레몬 할때 레"

직원: 성함이?
    예자 : 예자입니다.
    직원: 애자요?
    예자: 아니요. '예술'할때 '예'자에 '자석'할때 '자' 요.

If you want to differentiate ㅕ vs ㅛ, keep in mind that we never use vowel alone but it is always accompanied by ㅇ.
    So you are actually comparing 여 vs 요.
    You can use words that contain either 여 or 요 to distinguish them.
    Example) 여자할때 여, 요술할때 요

< Previous | Next >