tally mark

< Previous | Next >

Vicsande

Argentina Español
como traducirian al español "tally mark"?
To make a tally mark on a chart.
Thanks

• Philippa

Britain - English
    Vicsande said:
    como traducirian al español "tally mark"?
    To make a tally mark on a chart.
    Thanks
    Hola Vicsande!
    De nuestro diccionario:
    tally II n Com cuenta to keep a tally of, llevar la cuenta de
    tally mark - ¿quizás huella de la cuenta? :confused:

Saludos
    Philippa :)

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Philippa is a brave lady to have taken a guess at this. I have no idea. I just want to note that in American English, we wouldn't say tally mark. What would we say?
    That depends on the type of chart. If it's a graph, we might say 'a point' or 'set of coordinates'. If it is some other type of chart, perhaps we would simply say 'mark' or 'entry'. Tally is more a British usage, although it is understood here, especially in the sense of a count.

Saludos,
    Cuchufléte

Vicsande

Argentina Español
    You have been more than clear.

Thanks a million. I translated it as "marca" (mark in English)

cristóbal

EEUU/Inglés
    cuchufléte said:
    Philippa is a brave lady to have taken a guess at this. I have no idea. I just want to note that in American English, we wouldn't say tally mark. What would we say?
    That depends on the type of chart. If it's a graph, we might say 'a point' or 'set of coordinates'. If it is some other type of chart, perhaps we would simply say 'mark' or 'entry'. Tally is more a British usage, although it is understood here, especially in the sense of a count.

Saludos,
    Cuchufléte
    I disagree... I use "tally mark"... Maybe I'm just weird... I'm starting to come to that realization (or is it REALISATION!!!! OH NO!!!). :D

Amardeep

England, English
    If we take points to mean the same as tally marks, I guess you could get away with something like marcar o anotar puntos.

Aserolf

Español - México

Saludos,
    Cuchufléte
    I have to say that I disagree with Cuchuflete. I do translations for a (American) School District and teachers use these words quite often. In fact, I am translating a class newsletter and I need your help. I always have difficult to find the right word:
    This week we began to work with different types of graphs. We used tally marks, we made pictographs which use picture to show data, and we created some bar graphs in which the lenght of the bars records the data.
    Mi intento:
    Esta semana comenzamos a trabajar con diferentes tipos de gráficas. Usamos marcas? puntos? coordenadas?, hicimos pictogramas que utilizan dibujos para mostrar datos y creamos algunas gráficas de barras en las cuales la longitud de las barras registra los datos.
    :)¡¡Muchas gracias por sus sugerencias!!:)

Mirlo

Castellano, Panamá/ English-USA
    Mi humilde opinión:
    Usando rayitas para llevar la cuenta, ya que 'marcas' "puntos" y "coordenadas" se pueden definir como otras muchas cosas.
    Espero te ayude,
    saludos,

Aserolf

Español - México
    Mi humilde opinión:
    Usando rayitas para llevar la cuenta, ya que 'marcas' "puntos" y "coordenadas" se pueden definir como otras muchas cosas.
    Espero te ayude,
    saludos,
    ¡MIL GRACIAS Mirlo! Solo para complementar quise agregar esta imagen, para ver si los demas foreros saben de algun término para referirse a estas "rayitas" (yo la verdad no sé si tienen un nombre en español). ¡Si alguien lo sabe, por favor le ruego que me lo haga saber!:
    Tally Mark:

Attachments

Aserolf

Español - México
    Perdonen que sea tan insistente pero, alguien sabe cómo se les dice a estas rayitas en español, acaso tienen un nombre??
    Si lo saben, por favor, díganmelo.
    ¡¡De antemano, mil gracias!!

mariachiloco

USA-English
    A tally mark is different from a point. As one of the entries in the forum showed the marks that you might make on a chalkboard. A tally keeps track of how many times something has happened during a period of time. Once that period of time is up, the marks are counted, or tallied, up. En español se podría decir "tachar" creo.

Aserolf

Español - México
    Gracias Mariachiloco, por eso adjunté unas imagenes en el post #11, para ver si alguien sabe si tienen un nombre un español.

Aserolf

Español - México
    Es que si entiendo tachar como verbo, pero cómo lo acoplo a un sustantivo y que me de la idea de poner rayitas y luego tacharlas ?
    Como esto:
    llll

Mirlo

Entonces Tally Mark es TACHA o RAYA o MARCA??
    Yo no usaria "tacha"
    En Mexico se conoce a la dorga "extasis" como "tacha".
    Artículo:
    El MDMA o éxtasis, mejor conocido como “tacha” en nuestro país...

Aunque podrías decir "tachar las rayitas"
    Saludos,

Metztli

Mexico Spanish / English
    Entonces Tally Mark es TACHA o RAYA o MARCA??
    Aserolf, dame la oración completa... y ya acá la construimos.

Mirlo tiene razón, tacha se asocia con el éxtasis, el ex, asi que yo sugeriría marca... o sea "tachar las marcas" se oye bien.

Pero si me das la oración como es, va a estar mas fácil.

Mirlo

Aserolf, dame la oración completa... y ya acá la construimos.

Mirlo tiene razón, tacha se asocia con el éxtasis, el ex, asi que yo sugeriría marca... o sea "tachar las marcas" se oye bien.

Pero si me das la oración como es, va a estar mas fácil.
    'Metztli' creo que esta es la oración:
    This week we began to work with different types of graphs. We used tally marks, we made pictographs which use picture to show data, and we created some bar graphs in which the lenght of the bars records the data.

Metztli

Mexico Spanish / English
    'Metztli' creo que esta es la oración:
    Yo diría "Esta semana empezamos a trabajar con diferentes tipos de gráficas. Usamos esas donde vas tachando rayitas/rayas/marcas; pictográficas que llevan fotografías para ilustrar los datos y creamos algunas gráficas de barra, donde el largo de la barra determina los datos registrados".

Cómo ves? Te suena bien?

Espero haberte ayudado! :) Si no, pues sigamos preguntando...

Salud!

Aserolf

Español - México
    ¡Sí, me parece bien Metztli!
    ¡¡Muchísimas gracias a todos por sus sugerencias!!
    Buscaba un sustantivo, como el que nuestr@ amig@ lineaadicional nos ofreció (post #20): PENTADORES, pero me parece que debe ser un regionalismo, pues investigué y no encontré nada más sobre esta palabra.
    Creo que no hay un término específico y la traducción la deberé de adaptar al contexto, como el que me sugirió Mitztli, donde usaré tachar rayitas.
    ¡¡SALUDOS Y MIL GRACIAS!!

David

Banned
    A US school teacher having asked me about "tally mark", I consulted the forum. It seems to me that Cuchuflete is describing the points on a graph, nothing like a 1-2-3-4-slash (the slash is properly called a "tally") system of recording a count so clearly portrayed in Aserolf's post Nº 11 above. I also think it is waaaaay off the mark to say that tally is strictly a British usage: to tally, for to count up, and to use tally marks to record a count, are extremely frequent usages in the US, without even mentioning their vogue in the modern teach of arithmetic.

You have to feel sorry for teachers in US "bilingual" programs forced to rely on the "Spanish textbooks" so widely published by McGraw Hill and others in the US. They are usually written in a kind of pidgin-Spanish, excessively literal translations of the tortured phrases invented by pedagogues using the lingo of the moment for mathematical "facts," or "shapes," or whatnot, that just do not fit into Spanish, which should be written in the kind of simple, direct, fluent Spanish that will help immigrants absorb the material in their native language, not confuse them with gibberish that adds to the burden of learning English and the subject matter, the unnecessary burden of trying to understand a concept "explained" in a dreadfully written "Spanish" textbook and further butchered by a well-meaning, but not very "bilingual" teacher.

But getting back to the subject at hand for tally, as used by elementary school teachers for arithmetic classes in bilingual programs:

I believe that I will recommend to my teacher friend "rayita" for the first four stokes, and then a "tachita"--imply the crossing out of tachar--for the diagonal stroke.

¡c/s!

Mirlo

Reitero para nosotros "tally marks" son tachas, "tachar" es el verbo.
    en un contexto en el cual se este hablando de cosas escolares u otras no creo que haya confusión.

Saludos,:)

(Hola Metztli, saludos para ti también)

Last edited:

Metztli

Mexico Spanish / English
    Hi David!

I'd be very careful with the tacha/tachita

As we said before... it is better to use tache or tachecito (little tally mark) as the word Tacha and Tachita have a drug connotation.

Best! :)

(Hola Mirlo... que milagro!)

Dani California

Spain, Spanish
    En España comunmente se diria "contar con palitos" para traducir tally mark; tachar palitos o tachar rayitas tambien se entenderia perfectamente aca, sin tener las connotaciones que puso de relieve Metztli.
    Saludos.

PD Perdon por la falta de acentos, ajena a mi voluntad.

marinaab

United States, English
    In American English, it's perfectly acceptable to say "tally marks". It just generally refers to the straight lines that we use to keep score sometimes (look at the image the aserolf posted) instead of using actual numbers.
    ...but it's totally acceptable in American English! No worries!

Flora77

English - American
    I also disagree. In the Everyday Math series (U. Chicago school math program), the term "tally marks" is used in the context of a kindergarten-level data graph lesson where one of the goals is to have the students practice counting by 5, since typically tally marks appear in groups of 5.

sal62

spanish
    Lo de pentadores está bueno porque son cinco los tantos
    Por acá se usa el tanteo (de tantear) para anotar grupos de a cinco puntos (o tantos) en algunos juegos de naipes, formando un cuadrado con una diagonal= 5 puntos
    Las rayitas (tally mark) aparecen en las historietas cuando el personaje cuenta los días para salir de la cárcel.
    Saludos.

Monickv76

Spanish, Costa Rica
    Coincido totalmente con Mirlo. Rayitas para llevar la cuenta fue lo único que se me ha ocurrido para 'tally marks'. Gracias!

schizoid

Spanish
    Hola a todos,

Tally marks = marcas de conteo
    To make a tally mark on a graph = Colocar una marca de conteo en un cuadro/una tabla.
    Tally marks are used to count or keep score. Each | mark equals 1. After there are four | marks, a \ mark crosses through them.

Rayitas para llevar la cuenta también es perfectamente entendible.

La Onetti

Spanish-Mexico
    Yo lo he traducido como "marcas de conteo" (como sustantivo) para material de matemáticas. "Contar con rayitas" o "contar con palitos", aunque es más informal, también creo que se entiende muy bien.

< Previous | Next >