Tamil: seri

< Previous | Next >

greatbear

Banned
India - Hindi & English
I am intrigued by a close apparent resemblance between two words that belong to two otherwise quite different languages, belonging to two distinct languages: saaru of Gujarati and seri of Tamil. Both mean "fine, alright, ok". What are the etymologies of these words, and is there a traceable common connection between the two? There is also the related "saras" in Gujarati, and in certain Hindi dialects, which means "good, nice" - the Hindi word does seem to come from the Sanskrit/Hindi "shreyas": so most probably I can place the Gujarati words deriving therefrom. Does the Tamil word also come from there?

Even though Tamil is most probably not an Indo-Iranian language, I am posting this thread in this particular forum because my suspicion is leading me to a Sanskrit etymology of the word: I might be wrong! Thanks in advance.

• aruniyan

Tamil
    I am intrigued by a close apparent resemblance between two words that belong to two otherwise quite different languages, belonging to two distinct languages: saaru of Gujarati and seri of Tamil. Both mean "fine, alright, ok". What are the etymologies of these words, and is there a traceable common connection between the two? There is also the related "saras" in Gujarati, and in certain Hindi dialects, which means "good, nice" - the Hindi word does seem to come from the Sanskrit/Hindi "shreyas": so most probably I can place the Gujarati words deriving therefrom. Does the Tamil word also come from there?

Even though Tamil is most probably not an Indo-Iranian language, I am posting this thread in this particular forum because my suspicion is leading me to a Sanskrit etymology of the word: I might be wrong! Thanks in advance.
    Tamil Sari is not found in older texts, I think its the corrupted form of the word சீர் : "Seer" meaning "To set right, to correct it".
    also there is another Sira(good, fine).

aruniyan

Tamil
    Thanks, aruniyan! The other "Sira", is that found in older texts, and any idea about its etymology?
    சீரும் சிறப்பும்(seeRum sirappum) is more common and old words.
    These are basic words,
    Seer in the sense of giving the goodness, Sira in the sense of giving away the difficulties.

< Previous | Next >