tangerines or tangerine with an article

< Previous | Next >

Howard Cha

Korean-Korea
Dear teachers,

CHOHARU vinegar is very soft since only the Jeju tangerine peeled by hand is fermented without a drop of water,
and naturally fermented vinegar containing a little bit of organic sugar and the Jeju tangerine.

I'm writing about a company's vinegar.
I'm still struggling with the concept of the article.

I added "the" before Jeju tangerine.
Am I right?

Many thanks
Howard Cha

• Copyright

American English
    I would use not use the article in either case, preferring "only Jeju tangerines" for the first, and "and Jeju tangerines" at the end.

But your sentence is confusing. It seems to have two fermentations: of the tangerines and of the vinegar ... and then we have a vinegar up front, so it sounds like two vinegars. You might want to try rewording this sentence.

And by "soft," do you mean "mild"?

Howard Cha

Korean-Korea
    I would use not use the article in either case, preferring "only Jeju tangerines" for the first, and "and Jeju tangerines" at the end.

But your sentence is confusing. It seems to have two fermentations: of the tangerines and of the vinegar ... and then we have a vinegar up front, so it sounds like two vinegars. You might want to try rewording this sentence.

And by "soft," do you mean "mild"?
    CHOHARU vinegar is very mild since only Jeju tangerines peeled by hand is fermented without a drop of water,
    and it is also naturally fermented vinegar containing a little bit of organic sugar and Jeju tangerines.

How about this one?

And one more question.
    I don't know if the vinegar contains a Jeju tangeine or Jeju tangerines.
    Do I still have to use a plural from?

Thank you,

Copyright

American English
    Your rewrite has the same problems for me, I'm afraid.

I would use "Jeju tangerines" because you make this vinegar in large batches, not single-bottle batches – so you really don't know if there's only one tangerine per bottle. You're talking about what goes into the process, not into the single-bottle container.

Last edited:

Howard Cha

Korean-Korea
    Your rewrite has the same problems for me, I'm afraid.

I would use "Jeju tangerines" because you make this vinegar in large batches, not single-bottle batches – so you really don't know if there's only one tangerine per bottle. You're talking about what goes into the process, not into the single-bottle container.
    Now I understand what you're saying.

Thank you, teacher!

< Previous | Next >