tante belle cose

pv911

australian/english
Is there someone who could please help me with translation of this phrase?

Thank you.

• comespeaktome

UK English
    Literally, it means "Bye, see you soon, lots of good things"...is the context the end of a letter/email - they're probably wishing you well, etc. and therefore guessing that the "ciao" is bye and not hi!

Ludik

italia italiano
    comespeaktome said:
    Aha, does "tante belle cose" mean "all the best"? Good to know!
    "Tante belle cose" means "many nice things", but here there is an unexpressed wish "(ti auguro) tante belle cose" "(I wish you) many nice things"

comespeaktome

UK English
    Grazie Elisa!

Ma c'e' una cosa che non capisco tanto bene - una mia amica mi ha detto che "stammi bene" vuol dire "take care", ma come?! Litteralmente, vuol dire "Be good/well for me" :confused:

pv911

australian/english
    And 'comunque credo che verro a trovarti' - does this mean 'Anyway i believe that i will come to visit you soon' ?

Ludik

italia italiano
    comespeaktome said:
    Grazie Elisa!

Ma c'e' una cosa che non capisco tanto bene - una mia amica mi ha detto che "stammi bene" vuol dire "take care", ma come?! Litteralmente, vuol dire "Be good/well for me" :confused:
    "stammi bene", which is not very common...., means, as u say, "be well for me (to me)", literally. It's always a wish. "I hope you will be fine". To understand the origin of the expression, focus on "stai (imperative) bene"="be fine". "Stammi"="stai a me" is an idiomatic way of saying "stai", as if you were something belonging to me. Maybe it's weird...

Elisa68

Italian
    Ludik said:
    "stammi bene", which is not very common...., means, as u say, "be well for me (to me)", literally. It's always a wish. "I hope you will be fine". To understand the origin of the expression, focus on "stai (imperative) bene"="be fine". "Stammi"="stai a me" is an idiomatic way of saying "stai", as if you were something belonging to me. Maybe it's weird...
    Yes, but we do use it as "take care" when we leave somebody.:)

comespeaktome

UK English
    I guessed that it was the imperative, but was a bit confused, as in English "take care" is something selfless...wishing them all the best, and so was a bit thrown by the "for me" bit! Grazie!

Elisa68

Italian
    comespeaktome said:
    I guessed that it was the imperative, but was a bit confused, as in English "take care" is something selfless...wishing them all the best, and so was a bit thrown by the "for me" bit! Grazie!
    stammi bene=abbi cura di te= take care
    stammi bene more colloquial
    abbi cura di te a little more formal

Hope this helps!:)

marat

English, Canada
    Ciao!

Would someone kindly help me understand this?

tanti belli cosi ( a closing in an email...)

Thanks!!

marat

English, Canada
    Thank you FranParis, you are an angel and have helped me with many French queries too!

Tante belle cose,
    Mara

Thank you to you too Rubuk! And for such speedy replies.

Grazie. Ciao bello (and that is the extent of my Italian)!
    Mara

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >