Calloway

Ingles
como se traducen esa palabra???

a freind of mine calls herself this

BTW she is mexican if that helps at all

• Gato_Gordo

Spanish - México
    Hola Calloway:

Your friend is from the city of Guadalajara in the state of Jalisco in México, like me....

....we call ourselves Tapatios and since she is a girl, Tapatía

Saludos! ^_^

DCPaco

Spanish of Mexico/ English of the USA
    Well, in Mexico, we call the people that are born in Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico "Tapatíos." If you ask her, you may find that she is from Guadalajara. If that is not the case, then you'll have to ask her why she goes by that name.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapat%C3%ADo

Last edited by a moderator:

lapachis8

Mexico-Spanish
    Hi Calloway,
    You might want to edit your details as ingles without the accent means groins; inglés (with an accent is the term you are looking at)
    Tapatía/o is a term for people from Guadalajara, like Oakies from Oklahoma.
    It´s not muchachos/as
    cheers

DCPaco

so its like saying muchachos & muchachas??

No, it's like saying Parisian (a person from Paris), Salmantine (a person from Salamanca), or Venetian (a person from Venice). Just that the people of that city are identified by that name. I'm pretty sure that if she is from there, she is very proud of being "Tapatía" (a woman from Guadalajara).

DCPaco

Hi Calloway,
    You might want to edit your details as ingles without the accent means groins; inglés (with an accent is the term you are looking at)
    Tapatía/o is a term for people from Guadalajara, like Oakies from Oklahoma.
    It´s not muchachos/as
    cheers
    I don't think this is the same. A person from Oklahoma is an Oklahoman. An Okie, is a redneck of Oklahoma. Okie is a pejorative term.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okies

lapachis8

Mexico-Spanish
    Hi,
    Ooooooooooops, sorry about the mistake, DCPaco!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Here is some information on the two possible origins of Tapatío, Calloway by the way, it´s not just people from Guadalajara, but of course it´s wiki-wiki take it with a pinch of salt, though.
    cheers

Damnjoe

U.S. English
    I don't think this is the same. A person from Oklahoma is an Oklahoman. An Okie, is a redneck of Oklahoma. Okie is a pejorative term.
    I wouldn't say Okie is a pejorative term. Okie is short for Oklahoman just like Jew is short for Jewish. It depends on who you're asking though.

JB

English (AE)
    As to whether "okie" is pejorative or not, that discussion is not appropriate for this forum. You could post in English Only if you want to discuss this.

As to the origins of "tapatío" what I read (some time ago - don't recall the source, sorry) is that it is a "Spanish-ized" version of "tapatiotl" - a coin used by the indigenous people of that area when the Spaniards came, by which the people of that area are identified.

Every Mexican I have met from Guadalajara or the state of Jalisco informs me that the term properly applies only to people of Guadalajara. Sometimes an individual will tell me he isn't really a Tapatío, just sort of medio-tapatío - being from an area near Guadalajara.

chocolate_teapot

British English
    I am reading a book which says "salóntapatío - it is being used for a conference but I don't understand why the tapatío is being used?

< Previous | Next >