Tapping word not working - Android

MuffinSauce

English
In the many months I've had the wordreference app on my Android device, I've been able to tap a word anywhere on the screen, and it would take me to that word's entry. But that stopped working today. Now when I tap a word, the screen just flashes a blue color. Happens when connected either with WiFi or 4G data. I uninstalled/reinstalled to no avail. Anyone have an idea what the deal is? Thanks.

(I discovered this issue with the French/English dictionaries I typically use, but confirmed the same problem in other dictionaries, e.g., Italian/Spanish, etc.)

Last edited:
  • mkellogg

Administrator
    English - US
    I just tested it and it is working for me. Anybody else having this problem?

You might want to try clearing the app's cache. That is the only thing that I can think that might help.

MuffinSauce

English
    Hmmm... Sadly that didn't work. I cleared cache, cleared storage, uninstalled app, turned phone off, waited a minute, turned phone back on, reinstalled app...and still have the problem.

I can long-touch to select a word, and 'wordreference' is among the options in the pop-up menu. Not quite the same, but it's something. I wonder if it's a phone issue. Happy for any other suggestions. Merci !

MuffinSauce

English
    Indeed the audio in the app is not working for me, either. So, in the Android app, no word-tap capability nor audio. Even after a somewhat unforgiving free-up of space on my phone, these issues persist. However, word-tap and audio both DO work for me in the browser (Firefox and chrome) version on my phone (thanks for that idea and link, mkellogg). My wordreference app version is 4.0.29, if that matters.

MuffinSauce

English
    Well... now the word-tap and audio in the app are both working. I wish I knew if I'd done anything that fixed it, so I could share that knowledge. But it's a mystery to me, like my old beater car in high school...ran fine some days, not so much others, for reasons that were never clear.

< Previous | Next >