taste for suicidal

Erik 182

Hungarian
Hi all,

I heard someone to say "She is taste for suicidal".
I think it should be "suicide".

Please give me the correct word for it.

Thanks
Erik

• elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Erik 182 said:
    Hi all,

I heard someone to say "She is taste for suicidal".
    I think it should be "suicide".

Please give me the correct word for it.

Thanks
    Erik
    I'm afraid the sentence is nonsensical, no matter which word you use. "She is taste" doesn't mean much to me. Do you have more context?

E-J

England, English
    Is it possible you heard "She has a taste for the suicidal"? This would mean she is attracted to the idea of suicide, or perhaps to dangerous pursuits.

Erik 182

Hungarian
    E-J said:
    Is it possible you heard "She has a taste for the suicidal"? This would mean she is attracted to the idea of suicide, or perhaps to dangerous pursuits.

Yes, you're right: "she has a taste for the suicidal"
    So suicidal is correct, right?

E-J

England, English
    Right. The definite article is used (the suicidal) to give the adjective the meaning of "suicidal things", "all the things which are connected with suicide."

She has a taste for the suicide :cross: would be wrong, though. You'd need to omit the definite article in this case.

Erik 182

Hungarian
    E-J said:
    Right. The definite article is used (the suicidal) to give the adjective the meaning of "suicidal things", "all the things which are connected with suicide."

She has a taste for the suicide :cross: would be wrong, though. You'd need to omit the definite article in this case.

So these are correct:
    She has a taste for suicide.
    She has a taste for the suicidal.

E-J

England, English
    Erik 182 said:
    So these are correct:
    She has a taste for suicide.
    She has a taste for the suicidal.
    They're grammatically correct, yes. I think the first makes less sense, though, as it implies that her taste is very specifically for the act of committing suicide ... in which case, it's very likely she'd be dead by now!

Whoever she is, I hope her tastes mature a bit soon ...

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I agree completely with E-J that the first sentence "She has a taste for suicide" is somewhat nonsensical. But to describe someone as having "a taste for the suicidal" might simply suggest that they are fond of dangerous sports - nothing more psychologically deviant than that.

timpeac

English (England)
    panjandrum said:
    I agree completely with E-J that the first sentence "She has a taste for suicide" is somewhat nonsensical. But to describe someone as having "a taste for the suicidal" might simply suggest that they are fond of dangerous sports - nothing more psychologically deviant than that.
    That would be how I would interpret it too.

< Previous | Next >