taste is heavy (salty, spicy)

< Previous | Next >

ridgemao

Chinese - Mandarin
Hello, everyone:

If a person has much taste for spicy or salty food(i.e., he loves eating spicy or salty food), can I say the person's taste is heavy? Or how would you describe this person's taste with an adjective?

(I think here the taste means the feelings that a person has about what is appealing, attractive, etc.)

Thank you.

• Dretagoto

Inglés británico
    I can't actually think of another way to say this in English other than "he/she has a taste for spicy food". But definitely not "heavy" - that makes no sense in this context.

There is an expression for someone who likes sugary foods - "he/she has a sweet tooth" - but I can't think of an equivalent for spicy or salty.

Language Hound

American English
    If a person has much taste for:cross: spicy or salty food(i.e., he loves eating:tick: spicy or salty food), can I say the person's taste is heavy? Or how would you describe this person's taste with an adjective?
    No. I would not use the words "heavy" or "taste" here.

I would simply say that
    He likes spicy food.
    He likes his food heavily salted.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I agree that "heavy taste" doesn't work. We usually just say "he enjoys spicy food". We often use "hot" to mean "spicy", but of course it is tricky since "hot" can also mean "high temperature".

To me spicy and salty are very different. "Salty" is one of several flavors a person might like, including salty, sour, sweet, sugary, savoury, etc. But "spicy" is an issue of "how much can you tolerate".

I like the flavor of spicy foods, but my body cannot tolerate very much. Some Chinese dishes are full of small red peppers: if I remove those, I enjoy the spiciness they gave the rest of the dish. But I can't chew the peppers, without a strong physical reaction (burning feeling in mouth, sweating, eyes watering, etc.).

In the US, some Chinese restaurants mark the spicy foods (one little pepper means spicy; two means very spicy). Some others let the customer choose "how spicy" they make that dish: mild, hot, super hot, or volcano.

< Previous | Next >