tax-inclusive/exclusive

meijin

Japanese
Let's say you work in a supermarket and I'm a customer shopping there. I say "Excuse me..." and ask you "Is this tax-inclusive?" or "Is this a tax-inclusive price?", pointing to a price tag I found on a bottle of whiskey. Is this how you use the expression "tax-inclusive" (or "tax-exclusive")?

• Barque

Tamil
    I think you're more likely to hear: Does this include taxes? or perhaps, Is this inclusive of taxes?

meijin

Japanese
    Thank you both very much. I've just googled for some images showing prices in the store/shop shelves (do you call these 'price cards' or 'price labels' or 'price tags'?), and below is one example. I can't tell if the prices are tax-inclusive or not. In Japan, stores show both tax-inclusive prices and tax-exclusive prices for the items they sell. If you were to come to Japan and saw these price cards saying, for example, "Tax-exclusive price: 1,000 yen" and "Tax-inclusive price: 1,080 yen", would you find the expressions appropriate?

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Thank you both very much. I've just googled for some images showing prices in the store/shop shelves (do you call these 'price cards' or 'price labels' or 'price tags'?), and below is one example. I can't tell if the prices are tax-inclusive or not. In Japan, stores show both tax-inclusive prices and tax-exclusive prices for the items they sell. If you were to come to Japan and saw these price cards saying, for example, "Tax-exclusive price: 1,000 yen" and "Tax-inclusive price: 1,080 yen", would you find the expressions appropriate?
    They would make sense, although I would expect only one to specify tax status (then the other is obviously the other) so something like
    ¥1000 (¥1080 inc tax).
    (In the US (in California, at least), local taxes vary from county to county, and some goods are taxed at check-out and others not, so "tax inclusive" labels are rare (petrol/gasoline is an exception). If I recall correctly, in the UK, and maybe all of Europe, displayed prices must include tax.)

kentix

English - U.S.
    I would expect a label here to say (if it did, which it wouldn't) "Price with tax." Or "Price includes tax."

Nothing is labeled with the tax included here (except gasoline, as Julian said) and that's just a number on the gas pump.

Edit: Actually, it is there on the pump.
    ("All taxes included.")

Unlike most items, there are multiple taxes on gasoline.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >