te extraño mucho y me haces mucha falta

< Previous | Next >

BlueEyes_2233

English and USA
Hello All. Can someone tell me what the difference in english would be between "te extraño mucho y me haces mucha falta"?

I think te extraño mucho means - I miss you much
me haces mucha falta - you do me a lot of lack ?????

Can someone explain in English what these really mean?

Thanks for your help! Newbie Ken.

• Txiri

USA English
    te extraño mucho: I miss you very much

me haces mucha falta: I miss you very much, I need you very much (it works rather like gustar, which you probably already know quite well, and if translated "directly" like gustar sometimes is, for students ... ("to be pleasing to"), then this one is "you make great lack to me"

margapi

spanish, costa rica
    i´ll say both work pretty much the same way...it seems to me that it is a matter of where you are or to whom you´re addressing...in some countries one might use one option more than the other...

bieq

Spanish
    Ok
    Look

When you say "Me haces mucha falta" literally means "you lack me so much", which doesn't make much sense, that's why YOU HAVE to translate "Te extraño mucho" and "Me haces mucha falta" as "I miss you so much"

It's because english isn't a very good language, it doesn't have many words.

I hope it helps

Bye

Soulcruz

Español - Argentina
    A mi entender hay diferencia entre "to miss" / "to need" en este caso.. por eso las traducciones, tal como dijo Jdg5959jdg, serian:

te extraño mucho = I miss you so much
    me haces mucha falta = I need you so much

Sallyb36

British UK
    bieq said:
    Ok
    Look

When you say "Me haces mucha falta" literally means "you lack me so much", which doesn't make much sense, that's why YOU HAVE to translate "Te extraño mucho" and "Me haces mucha falta" as "I miss you so much"

It's because english isn't a very good language, it doesn't have many words.

I hope it helps

Bye
    It has three tiimes as many words as Spanish.

BlueEyes_2233

English and USA
    Greetings Everyone. Thanks so much for your help. The miss verses need clears things up for me.

I am new to spanish and somethings the literal translation is not very clear about the intent.

Once again, thanks everyone for your help.

Ken!

bieq

Spanish
    COLsass said:
    Gasp, English doesn't have many words!? A stab to the heart!

Enjoy the possibilities:

I miss you: I pine for you. I long/yearn/crave your presence.
    :D
    Hey, how are you?
    I am sorry I stabbed your heart by saying english doesn't have many words, but it's true, there are no many tenses, just one article (the), and many words that have the same meaning in different contexts, which in spanish doesn't happen...

I hope you're ok, have a nice day!

ang87

English - United States
    Hi! I know this is actually 2 years after your post bieq, but I have to respond because it's a frequent debate I've heard. :) English doesn't have many words?! What about "esperar" in Spanish? In English it's "to wait," or "to hope" or "to expect." They are all fairly different - related, yes, but different - but in Spanish, you just have to guess which one you really want to say because it's all "esperar."

I know that it's just one example, but there are many times when in English we have several words, all with different nuances, but in Spanish there is just one word. Don't get me wrong, I love Spanish, but it's not as exact of a language as English is. Just ask a linguist. :)

< Previous | Next >