Te form for Iku 行く

Louismi

UK
Spanish
I'm trying to get to terms with the conjugation and I don't really understand why the Te form for iku (to go) is itte and the past itta.

I'm following the rules in about.com and I think it would be

Iku --- iita te form iite

and for iu (to say) itta te form itte

But no, the T form for Iku seems to be itte. It really baffles me because I believe the only two irregular verbs are kuru and suru.

• I'm trying to get to terms with the conjugation and I don't really understand why the Te form for iku (to go) is itte and the past itta.

I'm following the rules in about.com and I think it would be

Iku --- iita te form iite

and for iu (to say) itta te form itte

But no, the T form for Iku seems to be itte. It really baffles me because I believe the only two irregular verbs are kuru and suru.
    Hello Louismi!! Let me answer you, I want to try to be helpful like the others senior members of the forum!

I had a lot of Japanese lessons on about dot com and I remember it was really good and fine!

Anyway I'm quite sure that the "Te" form of the verb "iku" is "Itte" and the past tense is "Itta". Never heard or seen before "iite" or "iita".

Ex : イタリアに行ったことがありますか?
    Itaria ni itta koto ga arimasuka?
    Have you (ever) been in Italy?

About the verb "to say" , "Iu" >
    Past tense - Itta; As well as for "Iku"
    Te form - Itte; As well as for "Iku"

The kanji and the context will help you a lot on how recognise the verb that you are treating about.

行った / 行って > Iku
    言った / 言って > Iu

Regards,
    ルパン三世

lammn

Chinese - Cantonese
    Like Lupen said, the te-form for iku is itte, not iite.
    I'm afraid you have to add iku to the list of "irregular verbs". :)

ms291052

English - USA
    You're absolutely correct in thinking that it's irregular though. The standard rule is ~く goes to ~いて.

E.g.
    書く -> 書いて
    歩く -> 歩いて
    引く -> 引いて
    防ぐ -> 防いで

Certainly by the rules it should be 行く -> 行いて.

Very interesting. I had never really thought about this at all, yet I too always believed that する and 来る were the only two irregular verbs.

minus273

Chinese - Mandarin
    Very interesting. I had never really thought about this at all, yet I too always believed that する and 来る were the only two irregular verbs.
    And ござる and くださる, Sāhib. Well, you can say that they aren't verbs.
    How do you conjugate 愛する?

Ev3

French, France
    Hi Minna! ^^

For what I know する and 来る are the only irregular verbs of the third group because they are always irregular no matter what form you use (~te form, ~ta form, ~nai form, the so-called dictionary form, or even the conditional or passive form)
    but 行く is irregular only for the ~te form (and for the ~ta form too, since it's the same construction, you usually just replace te or de with ta or da) this is a small exception of the ~te/ta construction ^^
    Just keep in mind that this one is "going" all weird with ~te construction while する and 来る are quite weird for all conjugation ^^

Ev3

French, France
    You can say that くださる is also an exception since it becomes くださいます with the ~masu form...
    Yeah あげる, さしあげる, やる, いただく, もらう, くださる, くれる, ござる all verbs, since you can conjugate it...

< Previous | Next >