Te quiero >< Te amo

Julieblue9

Mexico - Spanish
I have always wondered how to make a friend know that I feel affection for him or her.
In Spanish, at least in Mexico, I can say "te quiero" to a friend it doesn't matter if it's a female or a male friend he/she wouldn't think I'm in love with him/her. We use "te amo" usually for couples, I wouldn't say "te amo" to any friend.
So, how can I tell to my friend that I love him or her? is it OK to say I love you? isn't he going to think that I have falled in love with him??? :confused:
I hope you can understand my question and please if you find any mistake let me know.... thank u! ;)

• Edwin

USA / Native Language: English
    Julieblue9 said:
    I have always wondered how to make a friend know that I feel affection for him or her.
    In Spanish, at least in Mexico, I can say "te quiero" to a friend it doesn't matter if it's a female or a male friend he/she wouldn't think I'm in love with him/her. We use "te amo" usually for couples, I wouldn't say "te amo" to any friend.
    So, how can I tell to my friend that I love him or her? is it OK to say I love you? isn't he going to think that I have falled in love with him??? :confused:
    I hope you can understand my question and please if you find any mistake let me know.... thank u! ;)

Hi Julieblue. This has been discussed a lot in this forum.

If you do an Advanced Search for ''te quiero'' in the Spanish-English forums you will find lots of discussion of this matter. One thread can be found here: TE QUIERO But if you do the search I recommended you will find more.

asm

Mexico, Spanish
    Al menos en la parte escrita, si terminas una carta (email, etc) diciendo
    LOVE, la gente lo va a ver muy bien. EN los EUA eso lo hacen hasta cuando le escriben a un maestro (que quizas no les cae muy bien). Yo les pido a mis alumnos que escriban una tarjeta postal al final del curso, con 10 oraciones de cosas que estudiamos. Nunca faltan los alumnos que, haciendola primero en ingles, me escriben AMOR.
    Eso se da porque para ellos el LOVE es muy facil.

Si es de forma hablada, el I like you, o el I love you esta bien, aunque creo que depende el caso.

jacinta

USA English
    Hello, Julieblue,
    I'll answer in English since you ask in the same.
    I love you in English has a strong meaning. You can say I love how you laugh or I love your sense of humor to anyone, friend or stranger, and it has a casual meaning. But to say to someone, "I love you", it carries a serious connotation in most situations. You must really mean what you say. I don't think the phrase can be taken lightly by anyone, even between girlfriends and certainly not between males and females. Of course, it always depends on the situation. If you have a very good and close friend, saying "I love you" is not strange. It tells me that you are a serious person and whoever you are saying it to would be very lucky.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés

Julieblue9

Mexico - Spanish
    jacinta said:
    If you have a very good and close friend, saying "I love you" is not strange. It tells me that you are a serious person and whoever you are saying it to would be very lucky.

Then it's ok to say "I love you" to a very good and close friend if I really mean it, right?

I have a Korean friend (we both were taking English lessons) she asked me if it would be OK to write "I love you very much" in a note she was writing to me. At that time I thought it was OK as in English there is no "te quiero" but then I asked to another friend (native English speaker) and he said it could be misunderstand and that she should say "I really like u" instead... actually I didn't agree with him after I noticed that many of my classmates (from different countries) wrote "I love u" at my scrapbook which made me think that it was OK, or maybe any of us knew the real use of "I love u" :confused: or maybe I'm a very lovable person (just kidding:D )

Anyway, I didn't know this topic was discussed before and after reading this and the other threads I got the idea :idea: and I concluded:
    • We need more words in English to express different feelings.
    • "I love you" has different meanings depending on the context, situation, voice tone...
    • It's OK to say "I love you" to a very close friend if I really mean it ;)
    Thank you very much to all for your information :)
    Saludos desde Mexico!!!

Julieblue9

Mexico - Spanish
    cuchuflete said:
    Ad Edwin pointed out, this has been discussed repeatedly in this forum. To avoid repetition, please read the attached links. If you still do not find a clear answer, please open another thread with a very specific question.

Thanks for the links Chuchuflete :) ...

How can I know if something has already been discussed? :confused:

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Julieblue9 said:
    Thanks for the links Chuchuflete :) ...

How can I know if something has already been discussed? :confused:

Hola Julie,

I'm glad you actually read the previous threads. They are pretty great.

Your conclusions are absolutely correct, in my opinion.

Search: Up at the top right of the screen, between "Quick Links" and "New Posts", is a Search link. Like all computer programs, it is very stupid.
    If you type in "quiero", it will give you threads with that word in them.
    If you type "te quiero", you will see the threads I offered, as well as quite a few more.

If you have any problems using the search function, send me a PM and I'll be glad to help.

saludos,
    Cuchu

PD-If the topic is love or sex, the odds are pretty good that it has been discussed here!:D

293la293

Perú - Castellano
    many people say "I love ya" which is clearly wrong but as it is common, it is more like "te quiero :) "

katanphetamine

Spanish- Nicaragua
    Funny, not so long ago I was with my boyfriend (whom parents are Cuban, but came when they were around 15), and I told him "Te quiero." Quickly remembering that his Spanish was poor, I proceeded to tell him that it meant "I care about you" in panic that he'd think it meant "I love you" in the heavier sense. As far as English goes, I think it's the best translation to avoid an awkward situation. Ever since then, I think I've only repeated it perhaps 3 times to him. Every time he's answered back to me in English with "I care about you too"...yes, he only speaks English unless a situation (me, etc) forces him otherwise, but sometimes I feel like he answers back to me in English in fear that he might be saying the wrong thing...

I say I love you to my best friend and my sisters all the time, but I'd advice to keep it to yourself in regards to relationships that have not reached the "te amo" status- including to male friends, who can get the wrong idea! friendly non-consequencial alternatives are: you're special to me, I care about you, I'm glad you're my ___, thanks for being there for me, I appreciate you, etc.

from the Hot Pot of Miami FL,
    Kat