Te voy a dar un voto de confianza

< Previous | Next >

guachitonico

Spanish - Spain
How would this work in English?

Here's an example:

- ¡Prueba un poco de sushi!
- No me gusta el sushi pero te voy a dar un voto de confianza y lo voy a probar.
or
- No me fío mucho de esa persona, pero le voy a dar un voto de confianza.

For the first example, I thought about "I'll take your word for it", but I heard that kind of implies that you believe the person but you're not going to do anything about it.

Another alternative I thought of:

- Try this sushi!
- I don't really like sushi, but I'll trust you on this one and try it.

Is there a more idiomatic alternative?

• LVRBC

English-US, standard and medical
    I'll trust you on this is a good translation of meaning. You can also translate literally and say "vote of confidence."

Cerros de Úbeda

UK
    Spanish - Spain (Galicia)
    - I'll rely on you / accept what you say and...
    - I'll take a gamble / run the risk, and...
    - I'll take a chance on you and...

There's this Abba song that goes by that title. Its lyric goes;

'If you change your mind
    I'm the first in line
    Honey, I'm still free
    Take a chance on me'

Abba - Take a chance on me

Last edited:

gengo

American English
    - ¡Prueba un poco de sushi!
    - No me gusta el sushi pero te voy a dar un voto de confianza y lo voy a probar.
    or
    - No me fío mucho de esa persona, pero le voy a dar un voto de confianza.

For the first example, I thought about "I'll take your word for it", but I heard that kind of implies that you believe the person but you're not going to do anything about it.

- Try some sushi!
    - I don't really like sushi, but I'll trust you on this one and try it. :tick:
    I'd say that's a perfect translation for this context. (Although, logically, if the person already knows they don't like sushi, I don't see how or why they would trust the other person's opinion.)

In other contexts, "I'll take your word for it" might work well.

For your second example, I'd say: I don't trust that person very much, but I'm going to give him/her the benefit of the doubt.

michelmontescuba

Español
    Otra que se me ocurre: "I'll take a leap of faith and trust in you"; aunque quizá suene un poco dramático. :)

En el segundo ejemplo: "no me fío mucho de esa persona", si yo fuera a responder con la misma frase en inglés que propuse en el primer ejemplo, ¿cómo debería terminar la oración; con trust in them; it; he; she?

guachitonico

Spanish - Spain
    Otra que se me ocurre: "I'll take a leap of faith and trust in you"; aunque quizá suene un poco dramático. :)

En el segundo ejemplo: "no me fío mucho de esa persona", si yo fuera a responder con la misma frase en inglés que propuse en el primer ejemplo, ¿cómo debería terminar la oración; con trust in them; it; he; she?
    En ese caso, sería "I'll take a leap of faith and trust them / him / her".

gengo

American English

"Trust in you" sounds a bit literary to me. I would usually just say "trust you/him/her."

< Previous | Next >