team india won the toss and chose to bat

James Zhang

China/Chinese
Dear all

How to get "team india won the toss and chose to bat" as in https://cricket.yahoo.com/news/cricket-west-indies-win-toss-elect-bat-180035542.html.
Basically I have a rough idea of this. Yet further info is needed as this sport is not popular in China
Thanks
James

Or, what else is available to choose if the team has won the toss?

the team won the toss and chose to bowl -- to throw the ball at the batsman?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Dear all

How to get "team india won the toss and chose to bat" as in https://cricket.yahoo.com/news/cricket-west-indies-win-toss-elect-bat-180035542.html.
    Basically I have a rough idea of this. Yet further info is needed as this sport is not popular in China
    Thanks
    James
    The toss = the action of throwing a coin into the air during which time one person will try to predict which side will be showing when the coin falls to the ground.

Also known as "flipping/tossing a coin.", this action is often used as a random method of deciding an event or future action. So, I throw a coin into the air, and you shout either "Heads" or "Tails" if, you shout "Heads" and then the coin hits the ground with the side that shows the king's/president's head on it, you win and can decide what you want to do. If it comes down on the other side ("tails"), I can decide what I want to do.

chose to bat = In a game of cricket, one team positions itself around the cricket field. A member of that team will bowl (stylised throwing) a ball at one member of the other team. The member of the other team has a cricket bat. He is known as batsman, i.e. a member of the team that has decided to bat.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    Also known as "flipping/tossing a coin.", this action is often used as a random method of deciding an event or future action. So, I throw a coin into the air, and you shout either "Heads" or "Tails" if, you shout "Heads" and then the coin hits the ground with the side that shows the king's/president's head on it, you win and can decide what you want to do. If it comes down on the other side ("tails"), I can decide what I want to do.
    I agree, and the odd thing at that point is that no matter who wins the toss, that side can choose to bat, or not to bat. It can be a strategic choice. This happens in other sports, like tennis. If you win the toss, you can choose to serve or receive, which may seem odd to people not familiar with sports, since you automatically assume that the winner of the toss would want to serve/bat.

< Previous | Next >