Team Red or Green

searcher123

Farsi/Persian/فارسي
Greetings,
What does "Team Red or Green" mean here, please? I searched the net, without any success! I just know it is a name (because of its first capitals). But what exactly? Maybe he is pointing to the color of the product's boxes (red for AMD and green for Nvidia). I don't know!

• Beyond raw performance stats, both AMD and Nvidia offer a slew of extra features—normally software-related—to coax you toward Team Red or Green, respectively. source: PCWorld

Best Regards

Last edited:
  • Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    The clue here is the word "respectively". This tells us that the two options just mentioned correspond to the two options previously mentioned - Team Red is associated with AMD, and Team Green with Nvidia. I believe that the writer is using an analogy of two competing teams, one in red and one in green. This would certainly tie in with the corporate colours of Nvidia, and with AMD's Radeon colour branding.

searcher123

Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    The clue here is the word "respectively". This tells us that the two options just mentioned correspond to the two options previously mentioned - Team Red is associated with AMD, and Team Green with Nvidia. I believe that the writer is using an analogy of two competing teams, one in red and one in green. This would certainly tie in with the corporate colours of Nvidia, and with AMD's Radeon colour branding.
    Thank you so much. One more question: Outside of this text, does "Team Red or Green" have meaning? As far as I know, "Team Red" is a field in CIA. But what about "Team Green"?

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    It is fairly common when dividing a group into competing teams to designate them by colour - that means that you can distribute hats/teeshirts/badges or whatever with the appropriate colours to make it easier for people to see who is in what team. It is common when doing this to call them Team Red/Green/Orange/Blue/etc. (alternatively "The Red Team", etc). There is no intrinsic meaning other than to denote a team associated with a particular colour. The use you found in the CIA is in fact a semi-joking reference to this usage.

searcher123

Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    It is fairly common when dividing a group into competing teams to designate them by colour - that means that you can distribute hats/teeshirts/badges or whatever with the appropriate colours to make it easier for people to see who is in what team. It is common when doing this to call them Team Red/Green/Orange/Blue/etc. (alternatively "The Red Team", etc). There is no intrinsic meaning other than to denote a team associated with a particular colour. The use you found in the CIA is in fact a semi-joking reference to this usage.
    Thank you for your detailed answer.

< Previous | Next >