tear down

< Previous | Next >

Ozyck

Spain - Spanish
Good afternoon,

Could you help me with this sentence? I do not know exactly what the author inteds to say. I think this is more a cultural question than a linguistic one...

The two characters (1 old man and 1 old woman) are walking on the street in London:

«They wanted to tear down Notting Hill Gate, level it to Shepherd's Bush.»

Thank you in advance.

• lindie_

English- U.S.A
    They are saying that people are wanting to destroy/shut down Notting Hill Gate. "Level it" is a phrase to describe the action of completely destroying a place all the way to the ground.

Notting Hill Gate is the name of a street.

The man is saying that "they" wanted to demolish all the buildings along Notting Hill Gate. "Level" here is used as another way of saying "demolish the buildings until the site is level with the ground", "level it" means that the mysterious "they" wanted to demolish the buildings along the street all the way to Shepherd's Bush, which is a neighborhood in London.

Ozyck

Spain - Spanish
    Thank you, guys.

You have confirmed my ideas. The thing is that I do not understand why an old man and an old woman would like to demolish anything...

Maybe it is simpler than I think and I am making it difficult.

Regards from Spain.

Oz

Ozyck, you have not give us much context. Is this a statement being made by one of the two? Or is it something they would like to see done?

I also don't see why it should be odd. I myself would like to tear down any number of ugly buildings or neighborhoods. I never shall do that, of course, but what one wants and what one does are two very different things.

Ozyck

Spain - Spanish
    GreenWhiteBlue, I think I understand it better now.
    The sentence is said by an observer who is on a bus. The two elderly ones walk on the street. They are at a loss.
    I think that is the reason why they want to tear down the street: everything is so changed, so noisy, so full of buildings for them...
    I am sorry I did not give more context. Sometimes it is difficult summarize all you want to say.
    Thank you so much for your help!
    Regards,
    Oz

bibliolept

AE, Español
    I would normally assume that "they" refers to city or government planners--or possibly to land developers or commercial developers. It may mean that the plan was only discussed or that the proposal was eventually denied or abandoned.

Ozyck

Spain - Spanish
    Thak you, bibliolept. It could be, but I think that in this case it refers to the two elders.

Regards,
    Oz

< Previous | Next >