tearing a heart

slovac

I read that among the Indians there had been shamans who executed slaves in such a way that they removed the heart from their bodies.
If I want to express the previous way of execution using the word TO TEAR, could you please tell me which options are correct? (or if there is a better one than mine, please write it):

They tore a slave's heart from their body.
They tore a slave's heart off their body.
They tore a slave's heart out of their body.
They tore a slave's heart away from their body.

Thank you

• Copyright

American English
    They would tear a slave's heart from their body. (This is the one I would use.)
    They would tear a slave's heart out of their body. (This is understandable.)

If you're concerned about "their" for a single person, you could use plurals:

They would tear slaves' hearts from their bodies.

Myridon

English - US
    They tore a slave's heart off their body.
    The heart was on the outside of body before this happened. "Off" goes with "on" not "in". This would be fine if you were talking about an arm. You can tear the slave's arm off his body.
    They tore a slave's heart away from their body.
    Two possible readings:
    The heart was nearby the body and they moved it away from the body. "Tore" is not the right verb for this meaning.
    They tore the heart in another location that was away from the body. After removing the heart, they took the heart somewhere else and then they tore the heart.

< Previous | Next >