Tearing Out

Artrella

Banned
BA
Spanish-Argentina
Hi! I have this sentence "Tearing out of the first dip, they reel from the force of 2.7.Gs -nearly the gravity load that hits shuttle astronauts on their climb to orbit- but only for an instant"
This is a sentence from an article about roller-coasters
Does "tearing out" in this sentence mean tear (SEPARATE) /te@r, ter/ verb past simple tore, past participle torn
to pull or be pulled apart, or to pull pieces off
or does it mean this
tear (HURRY) /te@r, ter/ verb [I usually + adverb or preposition] past simple tore, past participle torn informal
to move hurriedly; to rush

I think both pull or move hurriedly fit in the context. What do you say? :confused: Art.

• Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    Artrella said:
    Hi! I have this sentence "Tearing out of the first dip, they reel from the force of 2.7.Gs -nearly the gravity load that hits shuttle astronauts on their climb to orbit- but only for an instant"
    This is a sentence from an article about roller-coasters
    Does "tearing out" in this sentence mean tear (SEPARATE) /te@r, ter/ verb past simple tore, past participle torn
    to pull or be pulled apart, or to pull pieces off
    or does it mean this
    tear (HURRY) /te@r, ter/ verb [I usually + adverb or preposition] past simple tore, past participle torn informal
    to move hurriedly; to rush

I think both pull or move hurriedly fit in the context. What do you say? :confused: Art.

Again, reel from means that If you reel, or your mind or brain reels, you feel very confused or shocked and unable to act.
    We were reeling (in amazement/shock/delight) from/with the news that we had won all that money.
    or reel (MOVE) /rI@l/ verb
    to walk moving from side to side and looking like you are going to fall
    At closing time he reeled out of the pub and across the road.
    She hit him so hard that he reeled across the room/reeled back.
    Related words
    If the place where you are reels, what you are looking at seems to go round and round in front of you.
    A stone hit his head and the street reeled before his eyes.

thks, A. :eek:

Mr X

Australia, English
    Hi Artrella,

In this sentence, 'tearing out' means moving really fast (the second option you had). So it means that the roller coaster was coming out of the dip really fast.

When you reel from something, it can mean that you pyhsically get thrown backwards from it. (I suppose it doesn't really have to be backwards, but it would be if the 'thing' is in front of you.) So if you say 'I reeled away from the horrible smell' it would mean that you actually moved away from it.

It can also be figurative, though, like if you said 'my brain was reeling'. This would mean that you felt as though your brain was getting thrown around inside your head.

In your example, though, it's a physical movement. The people in the roller coaster are thrown backwards by the force of 2.7 gs.

Hope this helps,
    Mr X.

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    Mr X said:
    Hi Artrella,

In this sentence, 'tearing out' means moving really fast (the second option you had). So it means that the roller coaster was coming out of the dip really fast.

When you reel from something, it can mean that you pyhsically get thrown backwards from it. (I suppose it doesn't really have to be backwards, but it would be if the 'thing' is in front of you.) So if you say 'I reeled away from the horrible smell' it would mean that you actually moved away from it.

It can also be figurative, though, like if you said 'my brain was reeling'. This would mean that you felt as though your brain was getting thrown around inside your head.

In your example, though, it's a physical movement. The people in the roller coaster are thrown backwards by the force of 2.7 gs.

Hope this helps,
    Mr X.

Thank you MrX. Your explanation was very clear and now I understood what was the meaning that fits in the text. :)

< Previous | Next >