(tears flew down one's eyes) or...?

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
I wonder if you help me to choose the best verb for filling in the blank:
I want to say that “someone started to cry and his / her tears flew down his / her eyes”;
Example: When he shout at her wife, suddenly I saw that the woman got silent. Then she looked at her husband and I saw that………………….
a) tears flew down her eyes.
b) tears welled up in her eyes.
c) tears fell down her eyes.
d) tears slid down her eyes.
e) tears shed down from her eyes.
------------------------------
Source: I have written this example myself.
I guess all of these choices work here.

• london calling

UK English
    A-friend, the only sentence which is correct is b), but in any case it does not mean what you are trying to say (if I have understood you correctly), i.e. that tears were flowing down her cheeks, because to well up means to collect/fill up) .;)

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
    A-friend, the only sentence which is correct is b), but in any case it does not mean what you are trying to say (if I have understood you correctly), i.e. that tears were flowing down her cheeks, because to well up means to collect/fill up) .;)
    Thank you again my dear friend
    But I did not realize your final suggestion:(. What I have to use here ["tears welled up in her cheeks" OR "tears flowed down her cheeks"]?

london calling

UK English
    Thank you again my dear friend
    But I did not realize your final suggestion:(. What I have to use here ["tears welled up in her cheeks" OR "tears flowed down her cheeks"]?
    You can't say tears welled up in her cheeks, you can only say they welled up in her eyes.;) Tears flowed down her cheeks is correct, tears flowed down her eyes is incorrect.;) .

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
    Thank you dear London and Cyberpedant very much. Pretty informative posts. :)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >