tease something through

< Previous | Next >

Karavostassis

Catalan - Catalunya
Good afternoon,

"tease through" could mean "sew"?

"I remember the curve of her back; her hands, dropped in her lap; the pick and lift of her fingers as she teases the thread through."

Thank you!

Last edited:
  • indavidual

Canada, English
    Personally, I do think the author means something like "sew" when she writes to "tease the thread through". More specifically, due to the context, I believe the woman is knitting (out of context, I would have thought she was trying to simply thread the needle).

-indavidual

Karavostassis

Catalan - Catalunya
    Sorry, Bibliolept, but I can see why do you think it means coax... From my point of view is more literal... Thank you, anyway.

And thank you Indavidual.

Trisia

Romanian
    I think Biblio is right about the meaning of the word.

Karavostassis, perhaps you could provide more context? It sounds as if she's either sewing or even embroidering. And she's probably doing that with small delicate moves.

Karavostassis

Catalan - Catalunya
    "Here is Ada, sitting on the sofa in the good room in Broadstone. She has a piece of work in her hands, simple work, it must have been some hemming or darning. There is an eight-year-old girl in the room, who is me. I remember the curve of her back; her hands, dropped in her lap; the pick and lift of her fingers as she teases the thread through. The sofa behind her is a dark red, overlaid with a tangle of cushions, though Ada does not lean back into them."

bibliolept

AE, Español
    It depends on whether you thread the needle close to your face or holding your hands up or whether you do it with your hands resting on your lap, I suppose.

"Tease" could mean that the hemming or darning consists of small, careful, slow movements, indicating patience and concentration.

< Previous | Next >