Tease

< Previous | Next >

gocfrey

Cantonese - Hong Kong
Hi members! I come across this word while I'm reading the song introduction of Ed's song Shape of You on genius.com.

Sheeran had teased the song through a tweet ...

After checking it up in a dictionary, I still have no idea of what it means. Please help. Thank you very much.

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Hello, gocfrey.

Welcome to the forum. :)

You can't post links yet, so I'll post the link for you: Ed Sheeran – Shape of You Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

The topic sentence was part of a side conversation about the lyrics. Here it is in full

Didn't Ed Sheeran post some of the lyrics on Twitter before the song came out?

Prior to the official release of this track, Sheeran teased these lyrics in a tweet that he posted on January 4, 2017. The post received over 125k likes and over 65k retweets over the span of two days.
    Here 'tease' means to release a small bit of his song so that his fans will want to hear more of it. It's a recent use that I cannot yet find in the regular dictionaries.

See this previous discussion of another example of this: tease [release a song]

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    To add to Cagey's post, it's related to the word "teaser" which means (WR dictionary): a preliminary advertisement in a campaign that attracts attention by making people curious to know what product is being advertised.

Another related thread: a teaser <for> the teaser

< Previous | Next >