Tedesco

Keith L. McMurray

United States English
I notice that the Italian word for "Germany" is GERMANIA, yet the word for "German" is TEDESCO. I cannot find any Latin source for TEDESCO and I suspect that it is not from the Latin. Could you tell me the origin of the word TEDESCO and how it came to be used to signify "German"?? I seem to have exhausted my meager resources. Thank you for you assistance.

Sincerely, Keith L. McMurray

• Jana337

čeština
    Keith L. McMurray said:
    I notice that the Italian word for "Germany" is GERMANIA, yet the word for "German" is TEDESCO. I cannot find any Latin source for TEDESCO and I suspect that it is not from the Latin. Could you tell me the origin of the word TEDESCO and how it came to be used to signify "German"?? I seem to have exhausted my meager resources. Thank you for you assistance.

Hi Keith,

welcome! :)

Please check this most interesting thread from the German forum (written in English). It is wider than what you request but the origin of "tedesco" was addressed by Silvia.

Hope this helps.

Jana

Keith L. McMurray

United States English
    Jana, Thanks! I see others were curious about the name TEDESCO as well. The info you directed me to was very helpful, especially Silvia's. Thanks again. Now I'll be able to sleep tonight.

Keith

Jana337

čeština
    Here's another source - if you are able to read in Italian.

Keith L. McMurray said:
    Jana, Thanks! I see others were curious about the name TEDESCO as well. The info you directed me to was very helpful, especially Silvia's. Thanks again. Now I'll be able to sleep tonight.
    Me too. Good night. :)

Jana

Snakeman

Germany, German
    Keith L. McMurray said:

Hi Keith,
    It's kind of funny with us Germans. The adjective "German" and the noun "Germany" is taken in non-German languages from various German tribes following the pars pro toto principle (call the whole after a part of it). The French call us after the Allemans, the English after the Germans, the Hungarians call us after the Swabians (to which tribe I belong), we ourselves call our language "Deutsch", meaning as much as "of the people" in contrast to Latin. Once the upper class spoke Latin, and the common people spoke common langage - "deutsch" or phonetically "doitch". Tedesco is an Italian alliteration to this. The language in The Netherlands is "Dutch", sort of a German dialect. Guess what the roots of the adverb "Dutch" are.
    Hoping this helps,
    Snakeman

Godfather

German, Switzerland
    Snakeman said:
    the Hungarians call us after the Swabians (to which tribe I belong)
    I've always wondered why many (older?) people in Switzerland called the Germans "d'Schwabe" instead of "die Tütsche". This makes absolutely sense to me now. ;)

Londoner06

US/English, Spanish
    Buona sera, membri!

I am curious to know about the word tedesco, why a German is not a germano. Does anyone have any ideas about the origin of the word tedesco?

BTW, the Word Reference dictionary has this entry for germano:

germano:

germano adj. German (closely related)
    Alex

Hockey13

AmEnglish/German
    Buona sera, membri!

I am curious to know about the word tedesco, why a German is not a germano. Does anyone have any ideas about the origin of the word tedesco?

germano:

Alex

Why germano and not deutscho?

Germany is situated in the center of a continent that has not always known its existence. The Italians often dealth with the Germans from the south and from a different era (see Roman invasion), the English and the French dealt with the Germans from the west. The Germans call themselves something else...it could go on and on.

infinite sadness

italiano

germano:

Alex

By my opinion, that translation is incorrect.
    I never heard the word germano whit the meaning of tedesco (german).

TrentinaNE

USA
    English (American)
    De Mauro agrees:
    agg., s.m.
    1 agg. TS stor., degli antichi Germani; germanico: costumi, popoli germani | agg., s.m., che, chi apparteneva ai Germani | s.m.pl. con iniz. maiusc., denominazione generica delle antiche popolazioni stanziate nell’Europa centrale
    2 agg. BU della Germania moderna; tedesco [quadro 1]

stoddard

Italian
    Germano = fratello ( hermano in spanish)
    Germano = kind of duck
    Germano= tedesco ( only lyric or poetic or latinism). I heard rarely of that and only in ( italian ) poetry. So I don't think it is common use. I think De Mauro reports it only for completeness.

Otherwise : tedesco = germanico adj ( a little old fashioned, more used during the fascism in Italy)