Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Angelix, Nov 7, 2013.

  1. Angelix Senior Member

    Terni, Italy
    Ciao a tutti,
    qualcuno sa come si dice telepass in inglese?

  2. Paulfromitaly

    Paulfromitaly MODerator

    Brescia (Italy)
    Forse sarebbe il caso che spiegassi cos'è il telepass, visto che non tutti gli utenti di questo forum sono italiani o viaggiano abitualmente in autostrada :)
  3. Angelix Senior Member

    Terni, Italy
    Oops, rimedio subito
    Ecco come lo definisce en.Wikipedia: Telepass is the brand name for an electronic toll collection system used to collect toll (pedaggio) on motorways (autostrade) in Italy operated by Autostrade per l'Italia S.p.A., its affiliates, and other legal entities.
    Il termine Telepass è comprensibile in inglese, as is?
  4. elfa

    elfa Senior Member

    Bath, England
    Direi di no, ma non abbiamo altra parola. Quindi, se fossi in te, userei lo stesso termine e se ce n'è bisogno, fornirei ulteriori spiegazioni. Altrimenti, potresti dire "electronic toll".
  5. Angelix Senior Member

    Terni, Italy
    Grazie Elfa
    purtroppo il termine è inserito in una voce di bilancio, quindi c'è solo lo spazio per dire "spese telepass".
    Proverò a scrivere "electronic toll charges"
  6. elfa

    elfa Senior Member

    Bath, England
  7. joanvillafane Senior Member

    U.S., New Jersey
    U.S. English
  8. elfa

    elfa Senior Member

    Bath, England
    Thanks for the input, Jo. This wouldn't be comprehensible, however, to people living this side of the pond! :)
  9. MR1492

    MR1492 Senior Member

    Newport News, Virginia
    English -USA
    But referencing E-Z Pass in the forum makes certain that those of us living on the other side of the pond see the connection! :) Plus, it does help answer the original question of how one would say telepass in English. The answer would be, "Telepass is an highway electronic toll collection system similar to the E-Z Pass system used in parts of the USA." You can, of course, include as much detail as necessary from post #3 to define Telepass and from the website listed by JVF in #7 to define the two systems.

  10. ske New Member

    I don't have much experience with toll payment systems, but I do know about balance sheets.
    What matters is... the expense relates to tolls. I don't expect anybody to care if the tolls were paid electronically or otherwise. What they will care about is, are these tolls connected with the business of the company? It may seem to deviate from the literal translation, but purpose-wise something like "highway tolls" is what I'd put in
  11. Bookmom

    Bookmom Senior Member

    The unit itself is a transponder so in generic terminology it is called a toll road transponder. In the northeast we have EZPass, I-Pass and FasTrak are a few of the other branded regional system names. There is also a switchable transponder that the driver can set for discounts based on the number of occupants in the car. Interesting:

    Edit: @ske, agreed, highway tolls or highway toll expenses. Some systems charge both tolls and other fees associated with the transponder.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013

Share This Page