tell me how can I ...

< Previous | Next >

Arielinwonderland

Korean
Is this sentence correct?

Can you tell me how can I get to the bank?

or, should I say
Can you tell me how I can get to the bank?

I've taught "indirect question", we should say Can you tell me how Subject + Verb? and "Can you tell me how to get to the bank? " is the most common way to say.
But I'm curious "Can you tell me how can I get... ?" is also frequently used between native English speakers.

Thank you in advance.

• DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Can you tell me how can I get to the bank?
    or, should I say
    Can you tell me how I can get to the bank?
    We normally say "Can you tell me how I can get to the bank?" It's not really wrong to invert it as "...how can I get..." but it does definitely sound a little bit odd to me and I don't think many native BE speakers would do it that way round.

Cloudchamber

English- New York, United States
    "Can you tell me how I can get to the bank?" is correct for sure.

If you asked the question directly, then it would be "How can I get to the bank?"

However, if you want to be more colloquial, I would just shorten it to: "Can you tell me how to get to the bank?"
    Using the infinitive is grammatically correct and would feel more natural in conversation.

Arielinwonderland

Korean
    Thank you.
    "Can you tell me how I can get to the bank?" is correct for sure.

If you asked the question directly, then it would be "How can I get to the bank?"

However, if you want to be more colloquial, I would just shorten it to: "Can you tell me how to get to the bank?"
    Using the infinitive is grammatically correct and would feel more natural in conversation.

< Previous | Next >